Chapter 11: Secrets

Song: "How To Save A Life" by The Fray

*Suicide Trigger Warning*

* * * * *

I called Harry as soon as I got back to my apartment, but I got his voicemail, so I just left a message. "Hey, Harry it's Regan. Just feeling kind of bummed and wanted to talk, but it's no big deal. Call me when you get a chance. 'Bye."

I got into my pajamas and watched a rom-com until I fell asleep on the couch. Luckily I woke up some time after midnight and went to bed, otherwise I really wouldn't have heard my alarm clock in the morning. Gabby might have gone easy on me the other day for showing up late, but I couldn't make it a habit.

I showed up at work with the standard coffees and then headed for the basement. I had only been there for a few minutes when I was paged. When the elevator door opened on the first floor. There stood Harry with a smile and a bag from The Baker's Dozen.

"Is that for me?" I asked eagerly.

"Well, hello to you too," he laughed, and then he hugged me. "And yes, these are for you and for me. Two Sinful Cinnamon Rolls."

"How did you know that's my favorite bakery?" I said, referring to Bake Away, a tasty little place just about ten blocks east of the library, closer to the river. I'd recognize their cinnamon rolls anywhere.

"Lucky guess," he grinned. "I got your message last night and thought I'd come and cheer you up."

"Harry!" I gushed. "That's so sweet of you. Well, I just started checking books in, so I can't really take a break right now." I leaned in and whispered. "But if you follow me to the basement, you can hang out with me while I check books in."

I glanced past Harry's shoulder at Gabby. She had her head down as always, doing some busy work on the computer. I rushed Harry into the elevator, following close behind him with the cumbersome book cart. When we arrived in the basement, I went straight to the check in bin.

"Well now," Harry said, "If you're going to bend the rules by feeding me and smuggling me down to the basement, you might as well enjoy your cinnamon roll before it gets cold."

"You're a bad influence," I teased as I dipped my hand into the open bag and pulled out a warm, gooey roll.

He shrugged. "Not really, I just have a terrible sweet tooth." He pulled one out and sunk his teeth into it at the same time I did.

"If I had known that, I wouldn't have brought you a breakfast sandwich every day."

He took hold of my hand and said, "If you hadn't brought me a breakfast sandwich every day, we probably wouldn't be where we are now."

"In the basement?" I asked, trying not to laugh.

"No," he chuckled. "We wouldn't be getting to know each other."

"Ahh," I said. "Well, then I'm glad I did it."

We enjoyed our cinnamon rolls together and then I showed him the very exciting details of my job. When the cart was full, Harry pushed it to the elevator and rode to the third floor with me. He hung out and talked to me while I shelved the books.

"You know that I could get in big trouble for this," I said.

"For what?" Harry asked innocently.

"For hanging out with you while I'm working."

"Nonsense," he said, pulling a book off the shelf and opening it. "I'm a library patron, reading a book, chatting with a cute librarian."