Chapter 14: Phases

Song: "Fireflies" by Owl City

* * * * *

When I woke up Sunday morning, I laid in my warm bed cocoon with a smile on my face for a long time, just thinking about Harry. I had told him the honest-to-god truth. I was falling fast and I didn't know how to pull the ripcord so I might glide safely to the ground rather than falling and having my heart smashed to bits. At the moment, I wasn't trying too hard; it was too exhilarating to be free-falling with a smart, sexy, funny, and beautiful man.

My daydreams were interrupted by the vibration of my cell phone. "Hey, sweetie, are you still joining us for brunch?" My mom asked from the other end of the line.

Shoot! I had forgotten that we were meeting at church for Sunday morning services and then going out to brunch for my oldest brother's birthday.

"Yeah, of course," I lied. "I don't think I'm going to make it to church with you, though. I woke up too late. Where are we meeting for brunch?"

"Do you even have to ask?" She laughed. We always, always, always went to IHOP. For brunch at least, it was a family tradition that we didn't dare break. "We should be there by 11:30."

"Okay, I'll meet you there." I hung up and jumped out of bed. A quick look in the mirror told me that I could probably get by without a shower. My hair was a little messed up by sleep - and by Harry's hands - but I could smooth it out and put it into a low ponytail. I changed into my favorite sweater, deep purple with embroidered flowers that stemmed from the bottom hem and bloomed around my bosom. I actually liked it for that reason, it made me feel like I had more in the chest department than I actually had. The flowers were subtle, so it wasn't gaudy or anything; the style just caught my eye and when I tried it on, I had to have it. I paired it with a black skirt with a lace-up design on the right thigh, which ended at the top of a somewhat revealing slit, but nothing that would embarrass me in front of my dad and brothers. With my tall, black boots, my outfit was complete.

I had the sudden idea to call Harry and invite him along, not stopping to think if it was too soon to meet the family. He didn't answer so I just left a voice message. "Hey, Harry, it's Regan. I was going to invite you to have brunch with my family this morning, but you must be sleeping. If you get this in the next half hour or so, call me. Otherwise, just call me any time because you know that I'll be waiting to hear from  you." I knew he was probably tired after wine and other things from last night; I knew I was. I smiled to myself again as I remembered sitting across his lap, kissing him so deeply.

Jerking myself out of my reverie once again, I finished getting ready and drove the 25 minutes to the one and only  International House of Pancakes, as far as my family was concerned.

It was always easy to tell if my family was there before me. It was hard to miss their gigantic van in the parking lot, and I could hear their chatter the minute I walked into the place. We were definitely a loud family, but no one seemed to mind that much, since the entire staff knew us and especially since my father was well known for his generous tips.

Martin stood up and received my hug. "Happy Birthday, Big Bro," I said. Pulling away, I handed him my card and tiny gift box.

"Thanks, Firefly," he said, smirking. It was a nickname he had given me when I was a baby. He was six and Charlotte was five when I was born. There was a firefly mobile over my crib that lit up and played lullabies, so when my parents would show Martin and Charlotte the mobile, they would say, "Look at the firefly," but Martin thought that was my name for the longest time. And it just stuck.

"Oh, hush," I laughed, gently pushing him away. I turned and greeted his girlfriend Ilana. He had been dating her forever and we were all wondering when they would finally decide to tie the knot.