Chapter 43: What Harry's Been Doing

Song: "Open Arms" By Journey

* * * * *

I woke up on Saturday, once again wondering how I really felt. I sat up slowly and after a brief stint of dizzyness, I stood and made my way to the kitchen. Harry was still snoring so I decided to let him sleep. He'd been through a lot in the past few days; we both had. I grabbed some orange juice from the fridge, chugged a glass, and then I ate some Greek yogurt with strawberries and Chia seeds. That was Harry's influence. I'd still be eating sugar-laden, low-protein yogurt if he hadn't pointed out the evil in it. Harry touted Chia seeds as a superfood that provided energy, fiber and protein. I found they didn't have much flavor so I added them to a variety of things, enjoying the slight crunch. However, I still giggled to myself every time I opened the package and images of a Chia pet loomed in my mind. Or I imagined myself as a Chia head with curly green hair.

After the yogurt, I took a shower, only to be met by a now-very-awake Harry who suggested we do some yoga. 

"Ugh, only if I don't work up a sweat - I just showered," I blithely complained. 

"I don't mind you sweaty," he smirked. "But we can just stretch and get some energy. I assume you're feeling better?" 

"Mmhmm," I answered with a happy nod. 

Harry dressed quickly and we stretched like willow trees and saplings and...dogs. It was honestly just what I needed, providing the promised burst of energy plus it made my body feel a little more like its old self rather than a lump of tired flesh that had sleeping twenty hours a day. 

"I'm gonna grab a quick shower," Harry said. "Then, do you want to take a drive with me?" 

"Yeah, sure. But when we get back, we have to clean this place up. Your parents will be here in a few days!" 

"Agreed," he said, smiling fondly. "But it's really not that messy. And my mum certainly isn't going to come in here with a white glove." 

"Still," I retorted. "I want to make a good first impression." 

He came back across the room to where I was standing, with the cold January sunlight streaming through the large windows. "They are going to love you. No worries, okay?" 

"All right," I nodded. I decided to make oatmeal for Harry's breakfast. Not just the flavored oatmeal packets I was used to, mind you. This was steel cut oats with walnuts, a smidgen of brown sugar and of course, more Chia seeds. He was clearly grateful for the warm, hearty breakfast as he wolfed it down in almost no time. 

He cleaned up the few dishes while I tugged on my boots and pulled out both of our coats. "So where are we going?" I asked.

"It's a surprise," he said with a sly grin. "But it's not too far."

Harry drove us out of downtown Detroit, south on 75 for a little way. Then he took an exit and headed closer to the river, finally turning to cross the bridge that led to Grosse Ile Township, a community situated on an island in the Detroit River. When we got to the other end of the bridge, my curiosity was insatiable. "What are we doing?" I asked excitedly.

"I want to show what I've been working on," he said plainly.

After another ten minutes, he pulled into a circular drive in front of a massive old brick house with a realty sign proclaiming "SOLD" in the front yard. It honestly reminded me of an old castle with a round turret front and center. The windows around the circular portion were made of  heavy leaded glass in diamond designs, further lending themselves to the feel of an castle. The brick was crumbling in some places and looked dingy, but the whole picture still had a rather charming feel.