Chapter 23: Meet the Parents

Song: "Peace Train" by 10,000 Maniacs

* * * * *

We woke up and had another leisurely breakfast on Monday. Because of the huge snowstorm over the weekend, the library would remain closed until the streets were cleared. Breakfasts were indeed becoming "our thing;" something we just enjoyed together exactly because of the lazy pace that afforded us the simple benefit of being close. Of course, this was the tail-end of Thanksgiving weekend and I'd be going back to work Monday morning, but everything was different now. So different.

We were huddled together at my little bistro table, preferring the intimacy it provided versus sitting together at the actual breakfast bar. Sipping on his third cup of coffee, Harry said, "I was thinking that maybe we could Skype with my parents later. I'd like them to meet you."

"Oh, Harry, I'd love that. I was wondering when I'd get the chance."

"Good," he said, hugging my shoulder and leaving a kiss on my messing morning hair.

"Do they know about me?" I asked.

He tilted his head, shaking it slightly in mock disbelief. "Of course they know about you. You're all I've thought about, talked about, dreamt about for the last few months.

I giggled and rolled my eyes a bit in embarrassment. "Good. I'd hate to have them look at me like Liz did when I met her at the store."

"Oh no, Regan," he chuckled, surely remembering that awkward meeting. "They're very excited about this. Of course they've cautioned me to take it slow, which we've done a marvelous job of that, haven't we?"

"Absolutely," I laughed. "Two and a half months is enough time for anyone to realize they're in love!" I gave him a cheesy smile. "I'm glad they're excited for you and they don't feel like it's too soon or something."

His head dipped low as he quietly said, "Only Cathryn's family thinks that."

I reached over hand held his hand for a moment. I couldn't imagine how confusing all of this was for him. He was trying to figure out how to live his life without his soulmate, his parents were across the ocean, and I was beginning to realize that his in-laws must have been somewhat controlling. 

"You said you've been talking about me for months. Do you talk to anyone else?" I asked carefully.

I think he knew what I was getting at, but he still asked, "Like who?"

"Do you keep in touch with your friends? You said they abandoned you. I'm sure that's not completely true. You can't just have no one."

"Yeah," he shrugged. "We still keep in touch. It was unfair for me to say they abandoned me. But after I repeatedly shut them out, I think they just gave up and don't put a lot of effort into keeping in touch." Releasing a puff of air, my shoulders sagged in disappointment for him. But then he said, "They didn't all give up. Gordon's kept in touch pretty well. He calls regularly, I just haven't seen him in a while."

"See? There you go," I smiled. "Is he one of your closer friends or...?"

He nodded emphatically. "Yeah, the best. I've known him since Wayne State. Oh my god, he's the funniest guy I've ever met. He's a rather large man, a Cherokee Indian, and-"

"Wait, what?!" I said, my jaw dropping open. "Gordon? Is there any chance his last name is Reddstone?"

His eyes widened as his head jutted forward. "You know him?!"

"Yes! His younger sister Ginger was my room-mate in college!" I cried.

Harry nodded. "I met Ginger a number of times - beautiful girl. He was thrilled to have her here while they were at uni."