Chapter 23

Before the sun appeared from behind the mountain, Jep and his companions broke camp and made their way unobserved into the tree-covered foothill. Derrick unhitched his wagon and loaded what he could on the ornery Dolly. The rest of their goods hung in sacks from the saddles of the other two horses.

The trail through the woods was packed hard from the hundreds of treasure seekers who had climbed the mountain searching for the secret mine. Mokum led the way, scurrying from rock to tree and pausing to listen for any signs of danger, then disappearing again into the undergrowth on either flank.

"It's like having a hunting dog." William remarked about Mokum.

"He seems very capable in sniffing out trouble." Mary said.

"It must have something to do with that deadly Huthwheat he's always chewing."

"Why do you say that, Derrick?" Derrick traded sides with Dolly on the path and shrugged off a reply. "I know it's powerful. Look what it did to Mary that time. Is that all the Huths eat?"

"As far as I know. They sell it too. I've seen them peddling it in Dyst and Nygard over the years."

"Have you tried it?"

"Once. That was enough. I sat in on a ceremony with them once and didn't recover my senses for a week. It's very strong and it has a taste that leaves you wanting more."

The group shuffled into a single file to traverse a narrow part of the trail around a rocky outcropping, emerging into a small clearing where the tiny figure of Mokum swung slowly by his feet from a rope. Instantly, Gar leaped out next to his prisoner and held his sword by the Huth's neck. The sudden move frightened the horses and they shied away, pulling free from William's grip and bolting back down the trail.

"Greetings once again my elusive friends. We assumed you would be coming this way sooner or later, and here you are."

Derrick dropped Dolly's rein and slid back out of sight behind the rock. Jep and William both moved in front of the women as a protective shield.

"How commendable," Gar smirked at their maneuver. "Show our friends how futile their position is, Rodney."

Gwendolise gasped at the mention of Dunbar's name and before she could recover, he sprang from behind another rock and grabbed her around the neck, dragging her past a livid Jep to the centre of the clearing, next to Gar. She could smell the stale blood on his bandaged hand.

"Now this can be very simple or it can be very ugly. Where is the mule driver?"

"Don't say anyth—" Gwendolise began to shout, but Rodney tightened his grip, cutting off her words.

"He didn't come," William lied. "He stayed behind to watch the Queen and her party."

"Yes, the good Queen Hella. She sent me after you without telling me why and when we didn't find you right away, she spoke to your parents. Now she's come to take charge of the treasure herself." His sneer was an intentional provocation and he grinned when Jep reacted.

"Nothing will give me greater pleasure," he said, spinning Mokum slowly. Jep stopped in his tracks, fists balled tightly. "Let them go. I'll take you where you want to go."

"No!" Gwendolise screamed again, struggling against Rodney's grip.

"Kill them and you learn nothing, Gar, I warn you." Jep stared at the captain determinedly.

He snickered contemptuously and with a lightning fast move, cut the rope holding Mokum, causing him to crash head first to the ground. "I don't need them to make you talk, little man."

Mary expressed a burst of contempt for the soldier and quickly ran to the Huth's aid, helping him to his feet.

"Think about this then, Captain, I would kill myself before divulging anything to you." Jep stood trembling before the hulking soldier, terrified he might be taken up on his threat.

"Kill them all and take what we want, we'll find the mine ourselves." Rodney was growing more agitated as his goal seemed so close.

"Not a good plan, Dunbar. You told me yourself, people have been searching for the mine for years without any luck. We'll just kill the ones we don't need."

"Wait!" Jep couldn't chance anything happening to Gwendolise or the others. "I'll take you to the mine, just let them go."

Rodney swore, putting his knife next to Gwendolise's throat. "You'll take us or I slit her neck now!"

"Steady there, Rodney. I think it might be easier to accommodate our young friend than have a messy fight and waste time. We'll let young Pennistyle take us there and then we'll do our deal. Meanwhile, just to keep them honest, we'll hold on to lady Gwendolise."

Rodney gave Gar a dark look and cursed his displeasure. "At least get the stones and the key before we start off."

"When we get to the mine." Jep stated. "I don't trust either of you to keep your word."

*****

Derrick sat silently behind the big tree holding his breath and squeezing the pack he'd slipped off Dolly's back before hiding after the ambush. He was afraid to move lest he be discovered and the contents of Jep's pack taken. He knew Gar would surely waste no time killing them all once he got the key; Derrick must protect it and somehow—set his friends free.

He lay still until he heard the group move off up the trail. Even Dolly was pressed into service carrying poor Mokum, who was strapped over her back, and Mary and William, tied by a trailing rope. There wouldn't be much time for a rescue once they reached the mine; poor Jep didn't even know the key was missing. He needed help, but where could he find it?

*****

"His name is Derrick Kriss, your Highness."

"And you know this how?"

"He has passed through Dyst on occasion, plying his trade." Prize showed Derrick a smug smile.

"What is your trade Derrick Kriss?" Hella asked benignly.

"I am but a poor traveling craftsman, your Highness, what I do merits no consideration. I am here because—"

"You are here because I allow you to be here!" Hella's voice was cold and cutting, and she arose from her cushions inside the tent that the Fair Master had graciously provided, and strutted around behind Derrick. "You come here with a claim of knowledge about some magical stones and where they can be found—why should I care, or believe you for that matter?"

"Because, your Highness, I know for a fact that you sent Gar DeBain after Jep Pennistyle because his family holds the secret of the mines at Mount Drood. DeBain and someone from the ruling household of Nygard—Dunbar, I think—have Jep and Gwendolise Bogendancer as their prisoners. I know these things because they are on their way this very moment to that site."

Hella stopped mid stride at the mention of her sister's name. Her mind raced with the anticipation of a long awaited reunion, one that would provide Hella access to the stones and the key to the mine; she would be the most powerful woman in the land.

"Do you know the way to this mine?"

"I can follow their trail easily enough from where they were captured." He answered confidently, hoping that by bringing them all together, they might manage some kind of plan for escape. Derrick was relying on the fact that the Queen and Gar would try to beat one another to the treasure.

"Gather the men," Hella snapped at Consiflore who stood by the entrance. "We leave immediately with this- what's his name; if he misleads us, you will have the pleasure of stripping him to the bone for my entertainment, now go!"