Chapter 2

Haley picked out an outfit. A black tank with a pink shirt, that she left unbuttoned, and some jean shorts. As usual, she wore no makeup. She pulled her hair into a ponytail and then groaned. Hair tie. Urgh those things. She rummaged through her closet. NOT ONE HAIR TIE. Dammit. She let her hair loose and sighed. She sprinted down the stairs and almost bumped into her dad.

He chuckled, "Why the hurry hon?"

"Today... art... class... first," she panted.

Her dad chuckled more and ruffled her hair a bit.

"Okay then hon, have fun and this time don't eat the paints," he said laughing.

"That was ONE time, I was FOUR," Haley protested.

"Four or fourteen?" Her dad raised his eyebrows.

"Fourteen," Haley muttered and ran into the kitchen leaving her dad who was cracking up with laughter.

Whenever Haley painted she jumped into another world. This may seem cliché but it was true. And not necessarily the world of the painting that she was currently working on but HER world. A world where perfection existed not as a goal but as a starting point. Where everything was perfect but if anyone else could see it they would think of it as completely messed up. The painting could be of a medieval castle but she would disappear into a beach. The beach was her calm place. It was her ultimate dream come true. Where teal water kissed white sand, and the colors of the dying sun would bloom in the sky, proving the undeniable, yet hardly recognized, beauty of death. That was perfection. To her. Colors were perfection. Straight lines or neatly drawn circles were uninviting. To her the curves of the waves, the undefined curves of the waves felt like home. Colors were things that always confused her. They were something she could never wrap her mind around completely. She could never understand colors, the way she understood math. They seemed new and inexplicable. And curiosity was her biggest weakness. That's why she loved colors so much and got excited every time things morphed from one color to another. Like the leaves in autumn. And no she hadn't actually eaten the paints. She'd gotten paint all over her face and it had ended up on her tongue... somehow.

...

"Hals wait up."

Rachel. Blazing red hair and pretty light green eyes, came into her view.

"Hey Rae."

"Hals Hals Hals!!!"

"Rachel calm down. Who gave you chocolate in the morning?"

"Ummm... she told me not to tell you."

"Raeee."

"Li..."

"LINDA!"

Linda appeared from the corner of the corridor.

"You called hon?" she said smirking.

"Oh gods Li. I missed you."

Haley ran to her best friend and engulfed her in a warm hug.

"And me, you. But unfortunately/ fortunately summer's over now."

"Okay don't change the topic. Chocolate? Seriously."

"Oh calm down, we aren't her mothers."

"I presume that you are right."

"As always."

"Oh shut up."

The bell rang.

"Class time!!!"

"Why so excited Hals?"

"Because after homeroom we have art and then I have higher level english."