Chapter 26

Saved by the bell! Well the doorbell... but still. The atmosphere had been too awkward and too intense for Juan. He watched for a second as the walls rebuilt themselves in Nick's eyes and the smirk reappeared. He shook his head slightly as he walked towards the door and opened it. And when he saw who was outside, he dropped his pencil in surprise. A good surprise.

Luca!

"LUCA!!!!"

The confusion at Nick's sudden change, disappeared from Juan's face, forgotten under folds of nostalgia and love.

His brother.

He threw his arms around Luca. He seemed to turn into a little child again.

Luca chuckled, "Ahh hermano, I've missed you," he said patting Juan's back.

The proper Spanish accent sounded mellifluous in his ears.

Juan took a step back, still holding Luca's shoulders, grinning. His eyes sparkled. Both of them. Blue twinkling with mature love and green emblazoned with childish mischief.

He was here! And he was early!

Juan peered at Luca. Trying to notice the changes. He still had his blue-green eyes (mixed not separate), messy black hair a chipped tooth that made his smile charming. He looked more muscular now, but he was still the same height.

"Alejandro, I was right. Tall, muscular, handsome with a tinge of devilish mischief," Luca said, ruffling his hair.

Juan blushed and for once he did not cringe at the name. And that's when the tears started. Soft gentle tears. No sobs. Tears of happiness. Finally. The brothers unite.

They were up in Juan's room. Luca was sprawled on the bed and Juan was sketching while talking and catching up with Luca.

He'd introduced Luca to his parents, who he'd informed prior to inviting Luca over. And Nick... Nick had left a few moments after Luca had arrived... no explanation whatsoever.

"So hermano... tell me..."

Juan groaned, "You are going to ask me if I have a girlfriend, aren't you?"

"Duh."

Juan shook his head, smiling.

"So there's this girl..." he trailed of.

"I'm listening," Luca said propping himself onto one of his elbows and facing Juan.

"Haley... Haley Moores.... she is beautiful... talented... kind... funny," Juan said staring dazedly at nowhere in particular.

Luca smiled, "Seems like you really like her..."

"Yeah I do. But she doesn't like me back," Juan said, coming out of the clouds, and falling back onto the hard ground.

Luca frowned, "How do you know?"

"She acted like she liked me... like she really liked me... for a week or something, then suddenly everything changed. Suddenly she started calling me hermano. I got rejected even before I could ask her out," Juan heaved a sigh.

"Oh..." Luca said, disappearing into his thoughts, "Maybe... someone else beat you to it."

"What do you mean?"

"Maybe someone else asked her out," Luca explained.

"But if she liked me then why would she agree to him...?"

"Maybe she thought that you don't like her back, and maybe she does like him a bit as well."

"Maybe..."