3. Charlotte and Coins

A brand-new chapter just for you!! Actually, let's make it two. HAPPY DOUBLE UPDATE DAY!!!! WOOOO!!! Ok I just made that up but enjoy anyway.

The carriage rattles along the road and the constant vibrations jiggle me and Charlotte against each other. The velvet seats cushion the bumps and keeps the trip reasonably comfortable.

Now that we are alone, Charlotte and I relax into a more natural rhythm. "You look nice today," she begins, I can hear the underlying curiosity in her voice, I know her too well. "Trying something new with your hair... and eyes."

The hair could be explained away easily but changing eye color is a little weirder. Normally I would tell her the truth. I trust her, but this isn't about trust. I can't tell her because one day anyone who knows something could be in danger.

I think for a second before deciding on the best way to handle her question. "Because I'm sick of looking into the mirror and seeing her when she abandoned us. Now I just see me," I say letting the emotion and resentment bled into my voice to add truth to my words.

She reached out and takes my hand. "I like it," she says, "Now you look like your father."

I smile back at her. "How's your father doing?" I ask to change the subject. Her dad works as a sailor on one of my father's ships but he was injured in a pirate attack last month.

"He's doing much better, he's up and walking around again. The healer thinks he will make a full recovery," she says with excitement.

"That's great!" I enthuse. Though I've only met him a few times he seemed like a good father and honorable man. He deserves to have a full life and not be hindered by an injury for the rest of his life.

We lapse into a comfortable silence as I watch the landscape change from grassy hills into narrow streets. As we approach the shopping district I take out my purse and open the chest. I take a handful and coins and transfer it into the purse, it takes three more handfuls to fill the purse. When my task is complete, I close the chest and seal it with magic then conceal it with a cloaking spell. Overkill, I know, but father always says; we didn't become rich by being careless with our money.

As we near the shopping district the traffic increases and our speed slows to a crawl. Our driver manages to weave around the other carriages on the street and find a place to park near our first stop. Once more, the footman assists both me and Charlotte out of the carriage before resuming his post on the back of the carriage.

The first store on the list is Madame de Lacroix.

I stand outside the glossy red door and take in the impressive window display. Two female mannequins stand with their heads bent towards each other, one holds a fancy fan in front of their mouths, as if they are whispering secrets to each other. Their elaborate gowns explode out from their narrow waists into huge skirts that brush the floor. The whole thing screams expensive.

I take a deep breath and prepare myself to make a statement.

I twist the handle and sweep into the store like I own it. Keeping my head high I glance around the room. One woman sits behind a counter and another is showing an elegant lady and piece of fine material. Both of them stare at my entrance. Good.

I approach the girl behind the counter and take out the list of items I need to commission from Madame de Lacroix. "I need these," I command laying down the piece of paper. When she fails to pick it up I add, "Now." The girl unfreezes and picks up the list her eyes widening at the number of items and expensive materials listed.

"Th-this won't come cheaply," the girl says eyeing me up and down. Her eyes seem to focus on odd places, to the side and below my face in particular.