46. Rings and Restraints

I did it. I rejected Nate's proposal. I can't stop picturing his face in that moment. He was so...god it hurts so much that I had to ruin it. I reach into my pocket and pull out the navy velvet ring box. I barely even looked at the ring, I was so focused on staying strong.

I pop open the lid and catch my breath. It's a square cut red beryl framed with diamonds set in a gold band. I don't think I ever told Nate that red beryl is my favorite. I also noticed he's accidentally chosen Hargreave colors. I guess it's fitting.

I take the ring out of the box, and marvel at it. I look closer at the red stone, there is a minuscule scratch on one of the smaller faces of the gem on the side. I recognize it. 

This is the same gem I gave to Nadia on my first day. He must have bought it from her. I understand what he meant when he said it was made for me.

I roll it around between my fingers and something else catches my attention. There's an inscription.

My Only Vow, To Love You

It's beautiful.

I can't leave it here to be seized with the rest of my things. I use a silver link and attach it around the band of the ring before using another small link and attach it to my charm bracelet. I finish the shield charm I started earlier in the week, the bracelet is complete.

I close my eyes and wait for sleep, I need to make sure everything is in place for tomorrow.

******

"Good morning, miss," Elise draws back the curtains revealing the cloudy weather.

"Morning," my gloomy mood settles over me. Everything is going to change today.

"I thought you might like to wear this today?" she has chosen very elaborate day dress.

"Why?" I wonder a little dazed, the dress is familiar I replay the vision in my mind in which I wore that dress. This is really happening.

"Because of the garden party. Don't you remember? The academy hosts a end of semester party for the parent to talk to the teachers about their children's grades so far," she explains giving me a concerned look.

"Oh, right," I say sadly, I'd forgotten, it doesn't matter since I won't get the chance to attend.

Elise dresses me in the white gown, it has a light floral print which darkens towards the hem. Very fitting for a garden party, less so for a cell.

"Elise, I need you to hold onto some things for me, a week from now give them to Nate." I pick up my journal and hand it to her, I also slide out Katana from underneath my sheets, I don't know why but she loves to sleep under there.

"I'm not taking your cat for a week," she refuses outright backing away from me and laying the journal back on my vanity.

"This is important, do this one task and Seashell is yours. Don't tell anyone about this but you can tell them about anything else," I explain trying to convince her to play her part.

"Tell who?" she asks bewildered.

"Hide them in your room, go now," I command placing Kat in her arms and tucking the journal into the large pocket of her apron. I turn her towards the door and guide her to it gently with a hand on her lower back. She leaves giving me one more confused look.

I close the door behind her and lean my forehead against it for a second. I don't know if I can pull this off. I sit on the sofa and close my eyes and prepare myself, this needs to be the performance of my life.