47. Boredom and Beliefs

It smells revolting.

I think that's the worst part about my cell. It's the same one from my earlier visions or maybe they all look the same. There are no windows since I am underground. It also means the stone is cold and damp. The walls and ceiling are all made from the same large grey stone bricks, I assume the floor is too but I can't see it underneath all the layers of filth covering it.

I think it is the floor that give the cell it's unique odor. I could be wrong, it could be the walls they are also stained with a thick layer a grime. Some of it is a rust brown color I recognize as dried blood. Other parts are a slimy green algae thing that grows on the dampest parts of the back wall.

It could also be the tin bucket. I didn't want to get to close since it seems it hasn't been emptied since the last person was in here. A lone fly circles the rim on occasion adding a faint buzzing into the tedium of being captive.

I sit cross legged on the pallet, it's the only thing that is close to being described as clean. This place reminds me of the last time I was a prisoner, I was only nine when I was held to ransom. I was taken a year after my marriage was arranged to Stefano. I was staying at the palace in Itaria so I could spend time with him.

I was taken from my bed in the middle of the night, it was terrifying. I had no idea why they were doing this to me. I cried for the better part of a day. They kept me in an underground cell then too, but it was much cleaner than this one.

I think my captors got sick of me crying because they started drugging my food. Maybe they just wanted to make sure I couldn't escape. The drug made we confused and pliable. I lost track of time, I just ate and slept probably for days. Until he came.

The lord who kidnapped me stormed into my cell furious. I was too drugged to understand what he was yelling. I remember him hitting me clearly though. He backhanded me across the face and I collapsed to the ground. "Why haven't they paid?" he demanded as he kicked me in the side. He beat me unconscious. I don't remember the rest of my capture.

The next thing I remember was my father carrying me back though the lord's mansion, I only have a few hazy memories of my rescue but I remember the blood.

My stomach rumbles startling me from my memories. It must be mid-afternoon by now, I haven't eaten since breakfast. They gave me lunch but I didn't eat it, I hid it in the bucket. I know from my visions that they also control their prisoners by putting a very specific drug in the food, it blocks the use of gifts and magic.

Not that it was much of a lunch just some bread and cheese. I'm really missing it now and I know it's only going to get worse.

Other than the smell, the filth and my hunger, my biggest annoyance is boredom. I have nothing to do but think. Thinking is not my friend at the moment, I know exactly what is going to happen next and I hate it. My thoughts eat at me.

I wish I could eat them, maybe that would dull my hunger. No dice. I'm going stir crazy and it hasn't even been a day.

This sucks.

Instead I chant the dual transmorphing spell in my head and revise everything I know about it. I'm nervous, it all hinges on this spell and I still haven't managed it cast it yet. I have a ton of magic stored in my bracelet so I should have plenty of chances to try but I will only have limited time to try to make it work.

I hear footsteps approaching. After hours of nothing but rats scratching the footsteps seem loud. I count them until they are directly outside my cell. My eyes snap open to look at my visitor though the thick metal bars. Nate.