42. Cassy and Charms

"Cassy?" I enter my room after my fourth detention and find her waiting nervously on my sofa.

She takes a few moments to stare at me, she shifts a few times before standing to confront me, "I know what you are," she states.

My blood runs cold. I knew she would find out at some point, she was in one of the visions I had. I didn't think she would already know though. It sends a shiver of fear down my spine, it's one thing to have family know my secret but I've only spent one day with this girl. She practically a stranger and now she knows.

"You have the gift of Foresight. Telepathy is my gift," she says, a piece of the puzzle falls into place, when I hugged her at the party I had a vision, she must have seen it too.

She's known for almost two weeks. My heat beat quickens, but I keep my voice calm, "Have you told anyone?" I feel like I'm juggling a hundred balls, dashing all over the place to keep them all in the air, I feel like I'm going to drop one and this whole thing will unravel. I need to master my gift and quickly, I can't have any more surprises.

"Just Sam, it's why he bought me to your party, he thought you might be hiding something. Why are you keeping it a secret?" I release my breath in a puff of relief, I can trust Sam. I'm actually a little impressed, he's more observant than I gave him credit for.

"Don't tell anyone else," I warn her gently and she nods.

She sits down into the chair behind her and crosses her legs. She's settling in for a long conversation, I noticed she had a bit of a stubborn streak, "You didn't answer my question."

"My enemies don't know I'm coming after them, that gives me an edge," I take a seat on the other side of the coffee table facing her.

"Are you talking about the rebels?" she leans forward eager now that I'm giving her some information.

"Yes,"  I confirm, if I ever want Nate and his family to be completely safe, I have to defeat the rebels.  

"I want to help," she has a determined glint in her eyes, the rebels have wronged her in some way.

"You will, for now just keep my secret," I need to keep her away from the action so she can be around to do her part later.

"I want to do more, I can help," she pleads with me; it seems she wants to be an ally rather than a silent partner.

I walk over to the fireplace; I reach inside with one hand and feel around for the cipher. I dust of some of the ash and hand it to her, "Do you know what that is?"

She runs her fingers over the flat plate marveling at the small holes cut into it, just large enough for one letter to fit in. When it is placed over a paragraph of writing it highlights individual letters spelling a new message. "It's one of those decoding things," she looks back at me perplexed.

"Someone hid it in here while I was gone. The rebels are trying to frame me," I explain my current problem.

"I can get rid of it for you," she offers flexing it like she is going to break it in half.

"No!" I reach out and snatch it back from her I walk back across the room and replace it inside the fireplace, "I want them to do it. Do you know what happens when someone is accused of treason?"

"They get executed," she replies horrified.

I shake my head, "Before that."

Cassy twines her fingers together and thinks, "The royalty can't just execute anyone they want, there has to have a trial, they have to be convicted by the priests and priestesses."