45. Arrows and Accusations

In an inhuman display of speed, Nate grabs me around the waist and throws me to the ground, covering my body with his. I land heavily on a moist patch of soil with his weight settling across my lower half. His face is pressed into my chest so he can't see what I can.

All the glass shrapnel deflects off an invisible shield around Nate leaving him unharmed, the psychandrite charm is protecting him. Unfortunately, the charm doesn't protect me and Nate's body on protects me up to my chest. I throw a hand across my face hiding my view and close my eyes against the impact.

I feel a sharp sting as the glass pierces my skin, I cry out in pain, I feel like I've been stabbed repeatedly in the arm. I feel the hot gush of my blood run over my skin and drip down onto my face. My arm is on fire, the wounds throb in agony.

Nate pushes himself onto all fours, crouched above me, "Are you ok?"

I use my good arm to help me sit up, and clutch my bleeding arm to my chest. "I'll be fine," I grit out through the pain. "My dagger," I remind him, I can hear the distant crunch of glass underfoot, they're getting closer.

He shifts back onto his heels and flips up the bottom of my dress, and withdraws the dagger. He stands fluidly and takes a defensive stance while surveying the area around us.

I turn my arm over and look at the damage, bloody pieces of glass stick out from my arm like a gory porcupine. I groan as I pull out a piece of glass, I cover the cut with my hand and cast a silent healing spell, it's taking too long to do it one cut at a time. "Go, get downstairs, portal," I huff out, I smash a portal in front of Nate but nothing happens. The rebels must be blocking the portals somehow.  Interesting.

"I'm staying with you," he says like it's the most obvious thing in the world.

"Idiot, I don't want your protection,"  I glare at him hoping my obvious disdain will make him leave.  

It's too late.  Six rebels converge on us from all directions, they are dressed head to toe in black including a mask concealing their faces. They are heavily armed with swords and knives but the one that has me most worried is the one with the bow and arrow. He takes up position at the base of the tree and nocks an arrow.

I'm not worried about Nate, the ring will protect him and he should be able to take them out with just the dagger. On the other hand I am in a much more difficult position. I'm injured, weaponless and distracted.  A very easy target.

I rip all the rest of the glass pieces out, it's difficult to grasp them since my fingers are slick with blood. There is a tense silence as they square off, only interrupted by the faint impact of glass shards as I drop them onto the soil.

The archer releases his arrow; it flies over Nate's shoulder from behind and buries itself in one of the rebel's chests. That's the true power of the psychandrite protection charm, in close proximity it can turn your enemies against each other without them even realizing it.  It deflected the arrow away from Nate and into the rebel instead.  

The rebel falls to his knees clutching his chest. He coughs up a mouthful of blood before collapsing to the ground. The other four rebels stare in shock at their fallen comrade before turning their accusatory glares on the archer.

Nate dashes towards the fallen rebel and steals his sword before engaging the closest rebel in combat. Nate's movement has snapped the others into action. Three of the rebels fight Nate while the forth walks stealthily over to the archer. The archer pleads with the other man, but his words abruptly cut off when the other rebel runs him through with his sword. I see the gore covered blade protrude from the back of the archer before the rebel withdraws it and turns his attention towards me.