41. Corbane and Combat

I ignore all the stares. I make my way quickly through the hallways towards the Headmistresses office. A hand snakes out and grabs me pulling me into a deserted classroom. I stumble at the unexpected change of direction; I catch myself by placing my hands against a firm chest. A thrill of energy runs through my body as I look into his blue eyes. My skin tingles beneath the hand that is still holding my arm.

"Where have you been?" he searches my eyes for answers, "Why did you leave? I woke up and you were gone," he says, I know he is trying to hide it but I hear the underlying note of hurt.

"I went home to confront Marie. Then I ascended," I summarize briefly not quite meeting his eyes. I don't want him to read the truth.

"You ascended?" his surprise is evident in his voice, whatever he imagined the reason for my absence he didn't expect that.

"Yes," I answer a little shortly.

"We need to talk about what happened," he insists as he stare intently at me, I see his eyes flick down briefly to my lips then back to my own.

"I don't have time right now. I have a meeting," I try to pull away from him but his grip tightens in response.

"Did I do something wrong?" his brows furrow in confusion, "Do you regret what happened?"

I feel a tightening in my chest at his questions, "No, I just don't have time right now," I lean forward and kiss him lightly on the mouth. "Please," I say as I place my hand over his own and peal his fingers back from my arm. He releases me and I duck back out of the classroom before he can say anything else.

My heart is racing, that was harder than I thought it would be.  

I make quick work of my passage through the hallways, it helps that everyone steps out of my way. I reach Corbane's door and knock on the mahogany wood. I hear a faint response and open the door. Corbane is seated behind the desk exactly like the last time I visited.

I take a seat and wait for her to address me. Elise informed me that she wanted a meeting with me as soon as I returned. She rests her elbows on the armrest of her chair and temples her fingers together, she assesses me above them. I feel like she can see right through me, she always seems to know more than she should.

"Is there any reason you have chosen to be absent this last week?" she addresses me coolly.

"I returned home to spend some time with my family, I'm sure you have heard the rumors." She inclines her head slightly in affirmation. "I was also unconscious for three days while I ascended,"  I lie smoothly, that's the standard period of time for an ascension so I don't really have an excuse for being away for so long. 

She studies me carefully, "Two weeks of detentions for the two days of unexplained absence from classes," she thinks for a few more moments, "Have you tried to heal others with your gift yet?"

"Yes, I was unsuccessful," I look down at my hands in a show of disappointment.

"It might take some time for you to figure it out. We'll be giving you an updated schedule, you'll be taking Gifts 101 instead of Theory of Ascension. You can start today, it's in room one," her voice holds a dismissive tone, I take the hint and leave her office.

I head back through the hallways slowly, I'm already half an hour late for history, there is no point hurrying now. I stare at the door to the class for a full five minutes. Everyone else's lives are the same but mine has changed drastically. I feel shattered inside, I'm grieving for something that hasn't happened yet. I'm broken because of something I am going to do. Now that I'm back here it feels more real.