4. Dinner and Daggers

Sorry for the delay I had to save a bunny from my cat. The catch and release program is still going strong.  She has managed to bring inside five live bunnies just this week.  I now consider myself a expert at saving terrified woodland creatures.  

Also above is a picture of what I imagine Prince Nathaniel to look like *drool*

The sun is just beginning to set and the square is bathed in warm light, it plays on the surface of the water in the fountain creating ripples of liquid gold.

I take hurried steps across the crowded square, my shopping trip took much longer than I thought and I am running a little late. I try to suppress further irritation when I'm forced to take a small detour around a group of children who have commandeered a large space for some kind of ball game.

I look around for Kayden but I see no sign of him. I shouldn't have bothered hurrying, Kayden is late once again. It really was hopeful thinking on my part, to believe he would actually be on time.

I take a seat on a nearby bench and watch the children's game while I wait. They throw the ball amongst themselves trying to keep it away from the other team and make their way closer to the other team's goal.

They laugh, smile and jokingly taunt each other when they score. They seem so happy and carefree that I can't help but feel a twinge of envy. I sometimes wish that I had been born without magic, like most people in the kingdom. I can't help but think my life would be simpler and far less dangerous if I was just a regular commoner. Those thoughts are always fleeting though, I would never want anyone else to control my destiny and magic opens doors for me that I otherwise wouldn't have.

I've only been sitting for a few minutes when my inner musings are interrupted by someone approaching me. Thinking that it's Kayden, I glace up but instead, I face an elegant woman. I recognize her from the first dressmaker, she was the one looking at fabric samples.

She extends a hand. "Duchess Southerland," she introduces herself, "and this is my daughter Lady Amelia Southerland."

For the first time, I notice the girl standing behind her. She seems about my age but unlike her mother's auburn hair, hers is blonde. Her blue eyes shine with innocence and her cheeks are rosy. She's looks pretty and sweet. But I know better than anyone that looks can be deceiving, since that is exactly what I intend to do.

Before the silence stretches too long, I take her hand and introduce myself, "Alia de Luca." I see the recognition light her eyes, she knows something about me. I assume she's heard about the academy selection from her husband, as a duke he would have been there. But I reconsider as I see her scrutinize my face like she is looking for something. I'm glad that I'm wearing my disguise.

She gives me a small smile and says, "Congratulations on getting the kings last placement." Normally this would be construed as an insult, a sign of being passed over the first time. But since I wasn't nominated by any of the dukes, instead it's a sign of the king's favoritism. It's a genuine compliment. It probably adds to my new mystery persona too. "You'll be there with Amelia," she adds.

"I look forward to seeing you there. Perhaps we could have lunch and get to know each other better?" Amelia offers hesitantly.

"I'd like that," I say with a genuine smile. It wouldn't hurt to be more familiar with someone as influential as a duke's daughter.

"Speaking of plans," Kayden says from just behind my shoulder.

I turn and narrow my eyes at him. "You're late," I accuse.

"But you love me anyway," he says with arrogance. "Shall we go?"

I turn back towards the Southerland's, both of them are eyeing Kayden with interest. I hate to admit it but most women seem to think he's a catch. Amelia seems to be a little distracted by his black hair and hazel eyes. While the duchess seems to be noting the quality of his clothing and the size of the gemstone on the hilt of his sword. Both of them seem to be trying to assess the nature of our relationship, no doubt intrigued by his love comment. Even with my magically darkened coloring, Kayden and I still don't share much of a family resemblance. Not feeling the need to enlighten them, I link my arm with Kayden's. "It was nice meeting you," I say before turning and leaving dragging Kayden with me.