05

It must be eight years now. Eight years since we first met, briefly. You probably don't remember, or why else would you not recognise me? Was that day, which I held so dearly to myself, just another incident for you? An insignificant moment in life? Hearing you play this song now, I feel like deep down, you remember me. And I hope that one day, standing under the rain, you will remember me from those eight years ago, where we met in the rain whilst humming this tune.

Tranquillity already settled into the room, silencing silence.

April Sky, was the name of the song, and a favourite piece of hers to play on the marimba. Of course there are multiple reasons for this choice. If a random stranger were to ask her why she chose this song, her answer would be because she enjoyed it and it calmed herself. Which is the truth.

If say, someone closer like a friend or a classmate perhaps were to ask, her answer would be that it reminded her of those refreshing showers in April that sometimes occur. This, is also the truth.

However, she had never outspoken the final reason, and the most truest reason of all.

In all honesty, she couldn't remember much of the reason - what actually happened and who he was - they just met in the rain, and he happened to be humming this tune. Tweleve year old Yuri was pretty naive and carefree, so she hung out with him for the rest of that day mindlessly and he taught her the song, April Sky.

Looking back on it now, it's a pretty lame encounter but it meant the world to Yuri.

After all, the rain and her had a different relationship before she met him.

Risking a glance, Yuri tore her eyes away from the marimba and watched Youngjae, to see his reaction.

Eyes closed. Bittersweet smile. A slight bobbing of the head.

Almost like he was reminiscing something.

Stuck inside a mesmerized trance, she accidentally hit a wrong note, jutting out like a sore thumb. Youngjae opened his eyes, his daydream state interrupted.

Yuri'a face heated up, but continued to play with no futher mishaps.

Once the playing receded, she pulled her arms away from instrument and closed her eyes, listening to the small echo of the final chord lingering in the room.

Claps came from Youngjae, who had a wide smile, "Didn't know you were a percussionist."

"It's weird isn't it? Everybody plays a beautiful instrument like piano, violin or flute, yet I just whack things with sticks." Yuri weakly laughed, looking down at her shuffling feet.

Weird.

It could almost be a replacement of her name, considering how much it was used to refer to the girl.

The weird girl who plays percussion.

The weird girl doesn't talk.

The weird girl who loves the rain.

"It's not weird, actually, I think it's cool." Youngjae broke her thoughts, standing up from his seat.

Yuri didn't answer him, despite the fact her mind was screaming to tell tell him that he's just lying, simply because she wanted, for once in her life, for somebody to say that she wasn't weird.

"April Sky right?"

Yuri looked at him surprise, knowing the song isn't too well known outwith the percussion world, "You know the song?"

Youngjae's smile faltered slightly, "Uh yeah."

Was he expecting another reaction?

"So... Why April Sky?" He asked, a little more hesitantly.

Yuri stared at him, considering his question.

Three possible answers. One of which, being an answer she had never used, never told. It's not even that large of a secret, it just felt far too personal and hard to explain to anybody for Yuri, no matter how close.

Yuri looked up at Youngjae, who held a hopeful expression as if awaiting a certain answer. Only a few days ago did they meet Youngjae but she felt like she could trust him.

But her trust in home only went so far.

"For the same reason I love the rain, everything about it is so serene and beautiful, it really takes you away to a land without worries." Yuri answered quietly with a smile, meaning every word she said.

Youngjae nodded, taking in the words.

Suddenly it occurred to her how much the focus had been on herself and guilt started to gnaw away at the girl.

"You sing right?" - Youngjae enthusiastically nodded - "Can I um... Hear you?"

Youngjae grinned and began to sing a song she didn't know but immedietly she was enraptured by his voice.

First thing she noticed was the genuine passion on his face, showing how much he enjoyed and loved singing. Somewhat inspirational. It was so entrancing that she could watch him forever, as creepy as that sounds.

His voice was sweet and simply perfection, every word he sang having a crazy effect on her body, luring Yuri deeper and deeper into the song.

Bobbing her head slowly to the song, Yuri closed her eyes and relished in the atmosphere as he sang, loving every single second of it.

As his voice subsided, Yuri opened my eyes and let out a relaxed sigh.

"Was it that bad?" Youngjae nervously laughed.

Yuri blinked, monetarily confused, before quickly answering back in panic, "No! It was good- I mean amazing! I mean- uh... What song is it?"

Youngjae chuckled at her clumsy talking and panicked expression, "Sick."

Yuri nodded, still having never heard of the song.

"Who is it by?"

Youngjae proudly smiled, "Me."

Yuri's mouth dropped and stared at him in shock, finding it hard to believe.

"No way."

Not like she doubted his talents but that was amazing. Yuri replayed the song in my head, focusing on the words that she could remember.

"The lyrics. . . What was your inspiration?" Yuri asked, thinking about the rather sad theme of the song of missing a past lover.

"Oh! I've not actually been through it!" Youngjae quickly said, waving his arms frantically, "No, I've had this crush on a girl for quite sometime but she's never really noticed me." Youngjae chuckled awkwardly, rubbing the back of his neck.

Inner curiosity was screaming at Yuri to ask who the crush was but she knew better than to pry, "She'll notice you someday." She patted him rather awkwardly, trying to show support.

Youngjae mumbled a small thanks before pulling his school bag onto the shoulder, "Yah! You should talk more like just now, it's nice."

Rather taken aback, Yuri mumbled a slight okay before he grinned and leaving the room, but she managed a smile. A genuine smile.

I am so lucky to have met Youngjae

~~~

Another update~ Sorry that my updates are so infrequent but I struggle to find time to be able to sit down, relax and just write with no interruptions.
Thank you all for reading, bye~