14

Saturday morning and she sat waiting in a cafe, a small sundress on more to survive the hot weather.

  Her leg bounced up and down with nervousness, constantly glancing outside the window or at the door when the sweet bell chimed.

   Again, she looked down at the message making sure she read right.

Youngjae 🌻
I need to talk to you, meet me at that cafe near your place at 1?

   He wasn't exactly specific on which cafe but she was hoping she went to the right one.

  Having not talked to the male for months, she was partially confused as to why he still wanted to talk to her but more concerned with what she was meant to say.

  Repeatedly, the girl reminded herself that ignoring him was for the better but a noise nagged at the back of her head saying she was completely unjustified and stupid.

  A bell rung as the door swung open gently.

  Yuri looked up to see Youngjae standing at the door, shaking his head slightly as he tried to sort his hair.

  Yuri's breath hitched, scared for what was to come.

  Anxious thoughts piled in, hundreds of different possible scenarios forming in her brain as she watched Youngjae walk towards her.

  Despite the fact he didn't have the old smile he always used to give her, Yuri could sense a gentleness in him as his eyes seemed to soften as he looked at her.

  Yuri mentally thanked the world that he wasn't angry even though he had every right to be.

  "Hello," Yuri mumbled, staring down at her hands that rested on the table, "I'm sorry."

  Youngjae sighed, "That was pretty cruel of you, to ignore me for months."

  Yuri stayed silent, still not looking up to see him because she knew it was right.

  "But I think I understand. I'm not saying your decision was right but I should've asked more about you, I should've got to know you better."

  Yuri numbly shook her head, "It's not your fault, it's mine."

  "Min Yung told me you know."

  Yuri finally looked up at him, a frown in her face with confusion, "Told you what?"

  Youngjae lent forward slightly, staring intently at her, "What happened when you were in elemntary school?"

  "I don't understand." Yuri looked at him with genuine confusion.

  "You and Min Yung were friends in elementary but something happened." Youngjae tried to hint at the topic, not wanting to be too straight forward.

  "But we weren't friends? I don't ever remember- oh."

  Yuri glanced down at her hands, a numbing sensation forming in her body as her mind went blank.

  Why did Min Yung never tell her?

  "Yuri, what happened?" Youngjae asked again, a gentleness in his voice.

  Yuri wanted to bypass it all, beat around the bush or even be a wingy teenager and tell him that he probably doesn't care, but her entire life had went without telling anybody. Only her parents, teachers and doctor knew, sworn to keep it secret out of privacy.

  Even though he probably didn't trust her anymore, Yuri still trusted him, and so told her story.

  "What do you mean that she can't remember? She wasn't even hit." An adult asked in a frustrated tone, whom was usually more polite but worry for his daughter heightened his other emotions.

  The doctor gave him and his wife an empathetic look, "Yuri wasn't hurt in the accident luckily but she has suffered traumatic stress."

  "What does that mean?" The mother asked, glancing past into the window, watching her daughter, who was colouring in a book, with concerned eyes.

  "Her brain wiped out her recollection of the incident, it was definitely something far too traumatising and violent for a girl in elementary."

  The mother anxiously kept glancing at her daughter, "Can we see her?"

  The doctor nodded, "Her brain is clouded at the moment but that shouldn't last too long."

  The two parents quickly entered the room, a sweet smile on her mothers face as she carefully sat down on the bed beside her.

  "Hi Yuri." Her mother softly spoke, stroking the girl's hair with a soothing touch.

  The said girl looked up at her mother, confusion clouded her face, "Hello?"

  Her mother choked on a sob slightly, trying not to cry in front of her daughter as her husband rubbed small circles on her back.

  Solemnly, Youngjae sat opposite the fragile girl, her sadness and loneliness contrasting with the light-hearted, carefree atmosphere of the cafe.

  His lips parted slightly, ready to speak, but his mouth could find no words of comfort or assurance.

  He really didn't know Yuri at all.

  "Basically, I am prone to post traumatic amnesia." Yuri said, hopefully clearing up any confusion.

  "So... Is that why?" Youngjae asked with an uncertain tone, his eyes darting around unsure where to look.

  Yuri nodded, understanding his question, "I've forgotten many people in the past but maybe I distanced myself away for more selfish reasons, not wanting to suffer the pain of being unable to remember if it ever did happen."

  The male sat their thoughtfully, trying to think it all through.

  It would explain why she couldn't remember him but he didn't know what traumatic experience she went through to forget in the first place.

  He wanted to ask her a million more questions, especially about the specific moment where they met but decided not too.

  She's already going through enough stress as it is.

  Instead Youngjae held out his hand, a soft smile on his face, "Hi! I'm Choi Youngjae."

  The girl stared at him weirdly, confused where he was coming from before she understood.

  Meekly, she held his hand and shook it, "Nice to meet you, I'm Kwon Yuri.

  "Let's be friends?"

  Yuri gave a happy, heart felt nod.

~~~

  I posted this so last last night i forgot to say this whoops. I won't be on till friday - i may get my phone at nights - so most probably, there wont be any updates.