Chapter One - Stories And A Little Talk

"...and so, the little thing that called bird can fly around in the sky. They have different colors depending on their species, just like the fish in the sea, and they also can sing-"

      "Like the Sirens? Did they eat humans too?" The small boy—or half-boy—with blonde hair in front of her interrupting her stories and she sighted.

      "No, my dear. The birds can sing, but they didn't eat humans. Some birds do eat other small animal, but often they only eat grain, small insect an-"

      "What's an insect?" The little boy interrupted again.

      "Lys, you have interrupting my stories for the 56th time. If you don't interrupting me from the very beginning, you probably have known what it is by now," the older lady scolded. The younger boy pouted.

      "But... I just want to know more about the land! Its seems so fun and beautiful. I just can't wait 'till I'm 20 and finally be able to see it with my own two eyes!"

      The older woman sighed, and then smiled. "I know how you feel, sweetheart, but you have to wait. This is the rule you have to follow since the world up here is more dangerous than the sea we knew." The younger boy want to argue but the older lady cut him down.

      "You don't know the terrain up here. You don't know what kind of animal that can harm you. You don't know if those humans will ever saw you. You know what will happen if those humans saw you, right?" The boy could only pout.

      "Yes, yes. They will either take you from the sea or kill you. The end. I know about that. But I still want to see what its like to be able to walking with two legs! You said no other animal except mo... uh, monk?-No, um... Ah! Monkey! Yes! That one can walk with two feet on the lands, right?"

      "Yes, they do. But, Lys, you can't walking in the land to see all of it. We could only look at them from afar, and can't talk to them. You know that, right?"

      "I do, Grandmother, but... Wait. If you can't see or talk to them, how do you know what those animals and plants you said live far-far away from the sea called or how they live? You still need to walking around in the land to see it right?" The boy suddenly asked. The older lady could only sighted once again.

      "For a 10 years old child you're quite smart, don't you?" she said while pinching his nose lightly. She's continuing before the boy can protesting, "I had a friends, long time ago, when I'm just 15. She's living among humans for a long time, and eventually moving to the sea since the humans hate her. I used to visiting her cave when she's living close to our territory, before. I give her foods and other things she need to do her works, and in return, she tell me stories about the land up here."

      The boy eyes sparkle when he hears it, and she continue, with stern voice, "But it all in the past. I don't even know if she's still alive or not. Something happened to my sister, and apparently it was because of her. So she was chased out from our territory and moving to the Deep sea," she pointed to the darker and deeper part of the sea, "And no one ever saw her again."

      "What happened? What did she do to your sister?" the boy asked. The older lady looked to his face for a while and looked to the direction of the Deep sea before she answer.

      "...She want the mate of others to be her own. But there's a price, and a time limits, and she failed to do it. And so, she's gone. Become the sea foam and ceased to exist when she's just 20."

      The boy nodded. He didn't asking any questions anymore when he saw the faraway look on his grandmother face. Undoubfully thinking about her sister. After a while, she smiled again to the boy.

      "Now, now. Its already time for dinner, let's head back, shall we? You can hear the rest tomorrow, or any other day. And aren't your sister going to be 20 the next week? I'm sure she will tell you and your sisters her story!"

      "Really? I've forgotten about that!" the boy said excitedly.

      The older lady nodded, and then the both of them going home, the dark purple scaled tail the older lady have moving smoothly on the water, and the light blue scaled tail the boy have moving quickly beside her, passing a school of fish and another colorful tailed Mer-people who bowed and waving at them, which they returned with a smile and a big wave from the little Mer-man. They were talking and laughing on the way home to their castle in the sea, to their family.