Chapter Seven - Realization And Awkward Confession

“NO WAY! NO WAY IN HELL I’LL BE MARRYING HER! I REFUSE TO MARRY SOMEONE I DON’T EVEN KNOW THE NAME!” Lys yelled at his father when his father told him that he had arranged a marriage for him with a mermaid princess from the other sea kingdom after he told the servants and soldiers to go outside the throne room to give them some privacy.

      His father, the Mer-King with a dark blue scales tail, long gray beard and with balding hair that sitting on his big silver-gold throne chair that decorated with gems and precious stones just stared at him without amusement since his impudent behavior is not something new. And the King just felt too tired to even raising his voice to him, and answering his shout with a monotone voice, “Lyse, you’re already an adult when you finished your trip to see the land and how the humans lives their life. I’m not that young anymore, and you are the only heir for the throne, since I can’t let your sisters to handle the kingdoms affair. Do you remember what they did when I give them the freedom to decorated the palace for the yearly celebration?” Lys shuddered when he remembered the palace condition that one time. Clearly it’s not something he—and the others—want to see any time soon.

      “But that’s not even counted as a reason why I should be marrying that girl in one month! I mean, I’m still 20! I’m supposed to be free from that kind of wedlock and responsibilities this young! Where’s the freedom?!” Lys argues again.

      The King rubbed his temple and said to him, “Because its what your mother want. She had arranged this marriage long time ago, even before she’s married with me and-“ Lys opened his mouth and said “What the-“ before the King hold his hand out to silencing him. “-No. Let me finish Lys. Your mother had a good childhood friends from that kingdom. She’s so close to her that she even called her ‘My sister'.” he paused and letting that to sinking in Lys head, and continue.

      “She and her friend made the promise that once they’re married and have a daughter and a son they will match them together so they can become a family for real. And apparently, she is a Queen of the current neighboring kingdom and she have a daughter, her only child that will reach her adulthood in one month time, and she want you and her daughter to be married to fulfill their promise as a respect for your mother.” He finished and Lys need a few minutes to fully proceeds his father words on his head.

      “That… Was the stupidest things I’ve ever heard on my life I don’t even know if I should just laugh it out or be mad because of mother and that silly promise.” Lys answered while making a face. His father nodded. Fully agreeing with his son for this one particular matter.

      “I know, my son. But since your mother and the Queen made that promise, I want you to at least meet her first, maybe get to know her more before you decide to marrying her or not. Maybe you can even falling in love with her. Who knows?” his father said softly. Lys definitely won’t comply with just that.

      “No. I don’t want to. You know I always hate it when someone told me to do something I don’t like. So why even bother telling me this? And me being a Prince or a King doesn’t mean anything if I can’t marry someone I love and find by myself. Not because some stupid promise made by mother or any other people!” Lys said and looked at his father face, noticing that his baldness had gotten worsened than the last time he saw it. But he didn’t care about that things since his mind raced with plans to escape this marriage if his father doesn’t agreeing with him.

      “I know you will said that.” He sighted. “So I ask her if there’s a possibility that you’ve already fallen in love with someone else, what will she do? And she said that she and your mother had a talk about that chance too. And if its true that you already set your heart with someone else before her daughter finished her coming to age journey, she would likely to forgetting this promise and will be praying for your happiness on your mother behalf.” Lys face brighten up but his father words made his face changing color again. “Now, the question is, do you have someone you love right now?”

      Lys tried to said “I don’t love anyone right now”, but the human Prince face suddenly showed up on his head and he remembering the feeling of his lips on him. Lys tried to shake that face out of his head, but couldn’t. Instead, the image of him and the human that crossed his mind before his sisters disturbs his daydream coming back at him. Now its escalated to became the image of them swimming together in the sea, he’s singing to him and they spinning around and hugging each other while the colorful and beautiful creatures of the sea circling them, making an amazing performance for them. The second that image showed up on his head, his face became as red as the blazing sun, tail moving back and fort and he continued to debating over it on his head. “Why did I thinking of him at a time like this? He’s beautiful, I know, with is perfect face and all, but why? Did I really love him? I did have this weird feeling in my stomach when I thought about him and I’m feeling really happy whenever he come to my mind. But... is it really true? I… Did I… Is this… lo… l-l-love? I-I lo-love… him?”

      When the though dawned at him, he’s already completely forgotten about his conversation with his father before, or about the fact that he still waiting for his answer. His father, however, doesn’t missed the change of color on his son face and weird behavior. He watching him with confused face and asked, “Lyse? Do you have someone you love?”

      “I LOVE HIM!” Lys shouted suddenly. His father eyes widened, and Lys cursed after his outburst. “Why can’t I keep my mouth shut?” he thought and cursed more under his breath.

      “Did you just said you love a man?” his father asked again. Not believing his own ears when his son said that. Lys just saying some more profanities and looked away from his father face. Silence filled the empty room, except for the occasional sound of bubbles from their lungs and Lys tail moving nervously on the water.

      “Who loves who?” Suddenly, a voice booming on the Kings throne room and surprising the both of the male. “And Lys, LANGUAGE. Being an adult doesn’t mean you can cursing however you want. Remember that.” Lys turned around and faced with his Grandmother smiling face. And he found his sisters faces poked around the entrance door, grinning at him. Lys really want to dig his own grave right now.