Resting In Secret 4

Chapter Four

It took me over an hour to find Damien but when I did he was turned around so that he wouldn’t see me. If I could just be quite enough to sneak up on him and touch his shoulder and then fast enough to run away from him I could have something to tease him about for the rest of my life like the numerous things he had for me.

I smiled at the thought of it and took a calculated step forward. And then I took another and another until I was right behind him. When I reached out to touch his shoulder he turned around, sending me off balance and to the ground.

“Sorry,” he grinned at me, “didn’t mean to scare you.”

“I’m sure. Does this count as my tag?”

“Nope.” He smirked.

“That’s not fair.”

“Well if you’re going to be cynical about it then I guess you’re right.”

“Actually I’m not being cynical I’m being—”

He kissed me gently. “You talk too much sometimes.”

“And you’re horny too much sometimes.”

“Yes but at least I can control it.” He smirked at me.

“Really? Because right now all you’re doing is trying to make me angry so that it’s easier to confuse me and therefore ultimately tricking me into having angry sex with you.” I replied coolly. He knew just how to make me hotheaded enough that it was still possible to turn me on but not enough that I’d slap him if he came within hitting range.

“Is it working?” His breath was hot against my skin and his fingers were like feathers on my skin.

“No it isn’t.” I was pulled out of Damien’s arms by Callon. “I told you that I would not allow any kind of relationship between you two. And you will not—”

“You can’t control me, and you can’t control him Callon! You abandoned me when I was little and left me to be sold like a bitch for breeding and it was only by a stroke of luck I wasn’t bought by some perverted man with a fetish for teenage girls. You have no right to come back into my life and tell me what to do and who I can be with.” I regretted the words as soon as they left my lips. The pain that flashed through his eyes hurt me deeply.

“You’re right.” Was all he said before leaving the room.

I tore away from Damien’s arms—which I found encircled around me again—and ran after him, tears stinging my eyes. He was only steps away from me when I had to stop to wipe the tears away. When I looked through my cleared eyes Callon was standing right in front of me, tears slowly making their way down his cheeks.

“I didn’t mean it. I’m sorry.” My sudden depression was overwhelming and I collapsed into my father’s arms that appeared before me.

He lowered us to the ground and pulled me onto his lap, letting me grip his shirt in one hand and cry into his chest.

“You are right though. I just don’t want you to get your heartbroken. I’ve never seen Damien have a relationship with a girl other than a one night stand. You’re still my little girl to me. I just want to protect you.”

“I know you want to protect me. I think you’ve made that clear to everyone in the building by appointing me a guard of eight men. But I’m not a little girl that needs to be protected from everything in the world.”

“I want you to tell me about your past. And about all your thoughts and feelings about it, and towards me. But I want you to do it when you’re ready.” He stroked my hair in a consoling way.