Resting In Secret 8

Chapter Eight

Damien groaned. “More? Already?”

“Callon is calling a meeting now.” The man who stopped Vladimir was standing there with a serious look on his face.

“Where?” Damien sounded more serious now then I’d ever heard him.

“The great hall.”

“And Alice…?”

“Has to stay here. Someone will stay here with her. She is not allowed to be there.”

“Why?” I asked, clinging to Damien.

“Everything will be okay Allison. We just do not want to worry you with the details.” He seemed to soften when he spoke to me.

“I’ll be back soon Alice.” Damien whispered to me. He turned to look at the man. “Who’s staying in here with her?”

“That is for you two to decide. Just as long as it is not your sister.” The man growled.

“Then you will stay in here with her.” Damien declared. “You’re the only person who’s available that I trust with her at the moment.”

“Do you agree Allison?” the man asked me.

“I guess so. If Damien trusts you then so do I.” I answered meekly. Damien hugged me tightly before letting me go and walking out of the room, closing the door softly behind him. I looked at the man, unsure of what to do.

“You can do whatever you would like to. I am just here to protect you.”

“Who are you?” I asked.

“I am your father’s consultant. He tells me everything that goes on here and I advise him on the best plan of action when he is not sure what to do.”

“What’s your name?”

“Manfred Jason Williams.”

“Manfred?” I giggled.

“You find my name funny?” he sounded amused rather than aggravated.

“Yes.”

“You’re very blunt aren’t you?”

“Not really.” I shrugged. “But I do think your name is funny.”

“I can see why Damien’s in love with you.”

“Manfred, can I ask you something?”

“I believe you just did.” He smirked. “But you can ask me something else if you would like.”

“How did Vladimir get in here? How did he even know where to find me?” My voice was quiet.

“He guessed where to find you. When he caught your scent he forced his way in.” His voice was hard and forced.

“You don’t believe that to be true do you?”

“No. I believe there is a traitor here.”

I didn’t respond for a moment, not sure if I wanted to hear whatever else he could tell me. “What are they talking about?”

“Your guard is being interviewed. Callon wants to make sure Vladimir guessed and someone in your guard did not give him the information.”

“What’s going to happen if someone told Vladimir?”

“They will be—” he stopped talking suddenly and walked over to me. “You should sit down.”

He pushed me down onto the bed and sat beside me, wiping away a tear I didn’t even realize was there.

“Will Charles be interviewed too? Why is Damien being interviewed?”

“Everything will be okay. Damien is only there to help your father. He is not suspected to have given out any information to the prince about your whereabouts. And yes, Charles will be interviewed.”

I knew he was right. Everything would be fine. As long as Damien was alright, things would be fine.

Another three hours passed until Damien came back. Manfred and I continued to talk in that time but our chatter was silenced as soon as the door opened.

“What happened?” Manfred asked him quickly.

“It was decided that no one in her guard leaked the information, including Charles. So Callon now wants to interview everyone in the place.” Damien sounded tired.

Manfred left after another half hour of the two men talking.

“Have you eaten yet?” I asked him carefully. I never knew if he would suddenly get mad when I asked him simple questions when he was tired.

“No. I was waiting until we could eat together.” He kissed the top of my head and grabbed my hand, pulling me up and out of the room. He told me to sit at one of the barstools at the counter while he cooked. Neither of us spoke while we ate.

“Why are things so quiet in here? It’s disheartening.” Lena’s voice floated into the room.

“Damien’s tired and—”

“Then stop having sex every night!” she laughed. “But seriously, we’re going shopping and I wanted to know if you two wanted to come with us. Callon and I, naturally. I don’t know what other us I could be talking about.”

I was surprised she wasn’t bouncing up and down. “I wouldn’t mind. I don’t want to be cooped up anymore!”

“We’d be happy to join you.” Damien chimed in. I looked at him, smiling. A grin slipped onto his face and his eyes brightened.

“Awe! You two are so in love!” Lena squealed. “I can’t wait to meet your little baby and see if it’s just like one of you!” She gasped dramatically. “What if it’s like both of you? That would be so amazing!”

“Wait, wait, wait. We’re not having a baby. At least not right now.” I informed her. “Damien and I talked about this a couple days ago when I was still in the infirmary being checked out. It’s not happening until after we’re married.”

“But you’re… you’re pregnant.” She turned to Damien. “You’re going to let her kill your unborn child?”

I felt horrible for making a devastated look take over her face. “Lena, I’m not pregnant.”

“Yes you are. I can smell it. Besides, you just ate enough for two people.”

“She’s not pregnant Lena. And I would never let her kill my baby.”

“Yeah, ‘cause I’d so want to in the first place.” I muttered sarcastically, thinking about the last week.

“See, even she’s realizing that she’s pregnant.” Lena stuck her tongue out at Damien.

She was right. I was pregnant. My period was late, and I was more emotional than usual. I felt nauseous a lot of the time and certain smells made it worse. This morning I woke up several hours before Callon woke us up and vomited.

“She’s right Damien, I am pregnant.”

“See, told you she’s not—wait, what?”

“I’m pregnant Damien.”