Resting In Secret 10

Chapter Ten

The day passed in a blur. Damien left the kitchen just as a girl walked in and glared at me.

“So you’re the little slut who stole him from me!” she sneered.

“Excuse me?” I asked. I took it that she was the girl from earlier today.

“Oh don’t pretend to be innocent! You know you purposefully got pregnant to make him stay with you!” she snapped back crossly.

“Yep! That’s totally it! Because I totally want to get fat and have a baby just to hang on to a guy!” My words dripped with sarcasm.

“I knew it!” She reached out to slap me but before she could I grabbed her wrist and pushed her back.

“Leave me the fuck alone you stupid bimbo.” I hissed at her. “Damien is free to leave me anytime he wishes, and he knows that. I did not get pregnant to make him stay with me. If you can’t understand that then go find a brothel to work in because you’re obviously only competent enough to lie on your back for men.”

She was stunned into silence and I stormed out of the kitchen without grabbing even a piece of fruit to eat. I stalked to the room Damien and I were staying in and threw myself on the bed, wanting the fresh day to end already.

“Alice?” Damien’s frantic voice broke through my thoughts. He released a sigh of relief and joined me on the bed. “Why’d you run off?”

“Your little friend openly accused me of getting pregnant on purpose. Then she tried to hit me.”

“She what?”

“The key word is tried. I grabbed her wrist and stopped her.” I smirked at how protective he was. “Why am I not being guarded here?”

“You are. Just not how you were before. Your guardsmen are stationed around the perimeter of the house as well as inside it. Manfred and Callon think its how Vladimir got to you. No one was able to warn anyone else in time that he was there.”

I thought about this for a moment. “I don’t want any of this.”

“I know. I’m sorry this is happening.” Damien kissed my forehead. “It’ll be over soon. He’s being put on trial, and since you're a child of the Conclave there’s a great chance he’ll be put to death for doing that to you.”

“But until then we have to keep running.” It wasn’t a question.

“Yes,” he said quietly. “But not one blames you for this.”

“That doesn’t make me feel better.” I laughed humorlessly.

He slid out of bed and took me with him back to the kitchen. He sat me on a stool and I watched as he rummaged through the cabinets for food.

“Are you at that stage where you have weird food cravings?”

“Nope.”

“Good. Because we have no food here at the moment.”

“Not my fault guy!” The man who looked like Damien walked into the room.

“This is Malic, my brother.”

“Sorry about the first time we met. I was undercover. When I realized who you were I had to think quickly and go to my instincts so I wouldn’t protect you instead. I didn’t mean to kiss you, but I definitely don’t regret it.” He grinned foolishly at me.

“You kissed her?” Damien slammed him against a wall and held him there.

“G-guy, come on. It didn’t hurt her did it?”