Resting In Secret 13

Chapter Thirteen

“Wake up beauté endormie.” Damien’s voice soothed me awake. I couldn't have been sure when I fell asleep again, but Damien was lying beside me in bed and Callon was still sleeping in the chair next to me.

“Five more minutes.” I moaned.

“Come on, get up. We’re going to sneak out for a while.”

That woke me up instantly. “Can I pee first?”

Damien chuckled lightly and pulled the needle from my wrist before sweeping me quietly off the bed and to the bathroom, setting me on my feet so I could do my business before joining him in the room again.

“Where are we going?”

“There’s a lake not too far from here. I told Malic that we were sneaking off for a bit, so someone knows I didn’t kidnap you.”

I giggled and swathed my arms around his neck, allowing him to pick me up silently before sneaking out of the room. He carried me to the kitchen and told me to grab the covered basket that sat on the counter. After making sure it was securely in my arms he took off running at his full speed.

We stopped twice on the way to the lake, one so we could eat a small breakfast, and one where he let me stretch my legs briefly. When we finally broke through the insipid shrubbery I couldn't hold in my gasp of astonishment. The crystal clear water was a bright sky blue and the land surrounding it was full of bright green grass with wild sun flowers scattered around perfectly.

“It’s beautiful out here isn’t it?”

“Very.” I agreed, nodding my head vigorously. He chuckled and sat me on a blanket I hadn’t realized was there. “You must have planned ahead for this.”

“I got to thinking last night when you told everyone to just shut the hell up. I thought you could use some time away from everything.”

“Thank you Damien. Really.” I smiled at him as he unpacked more food.

“So, you can’t go swimming or anything, but I thought we could enjoy lunch out here and then maybe I could carry you along one of the trails.”

“That sounds great. I could use some fresh air anyway. I hate being cooped up in there and it’s only been a couple days.” I sighed dramatically as he handed me a paper plate and a plastic fork.

“Well quite a bit has happened these last few weeks. I don’t blame you for feeling trapped.”

I piled food onto my plate and began to eat while he chuckled. “What? I’m hungry!”

“Yeah, riding on my back all morning has got to be tiring.” His sarcastic words made me giggle.

“It is! Glad you understand.” I pecked his cheek while he piled food onto a plate for himself.

“You’re different.”

“What?” I nearly choked on my food.

“You’ve changed since a few weeks ago.” He shrugged. “I don’t know how to explain it really. You seem more confident and… I don’t know.”

“Maybe it’s because I’m changing into a lycan.” The statement was more of a question.

“I like how you’re changing, love. It’s a good thing.”

“So you didn’t love me the way I was before? I see how it is.” I pretended to sniffle.

“No! I loved you then too! I love you no matter how you are.”

I giggled at how flustered his words were. “I love you too Damien.”

He leaned in to kiss me. I met him halfway and moved my lips in synch with his. A warm feeling spread through me and I felt light as air. Damien pulled me over to him so that I was sitting on his lap. I wrapped my arms around his neck like I usually did.

“I’ve been thinking about what Will said last night.”

“Way to ruin the mood.” I took my arms from around his neck and played with one of the buttons on his shirt instead. A habit I hadn’t really been doing since we first went to the House of the Conclave.

“I don’t want to have a baby with you if it means you’re going to die.”

“I want one Damien. I’m willing to risk my life if it means having a baby with you, and finishing the mating process.”

“No, Alice. Not if it’s risking your life.”

“Damien, please. I know you want children. I don’t want you to have to go elsewhere so you can have them.”

“Do you really think I’d go to another woman so I could have kids? I only want them if I have them with you. But I’m not going to let you risk your life.”

“Is there anything I can say to make you reconsider?”

“No!”

I kissed his lips softly. “Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Okay.” I nodded.

“Why are you giving in so easily?”

“Because you’re worried about me. And Will’s right; if I keep being stressed out I’ll never get better. That doesn’t mean I don’t hope you’ll change your mind and decide to that you want to take that risk, but it does mean I’ll respect your decision enough not to press it any further.”

“You want to see some more of the scenery?” he asked smiling warmly.

“Yeah!”

Our food forgotten, he set me back to the ground and stood up, then picking me up and slinging me over his shoulder.

“Want me to run or walk?”

“Walk. It’ll take longer and I really want as much alone time with you as possible.” I rolled my eyes as he chuckled. “It’s selfish, I know, but we’ve been surrounded by so many people for so long—”

“I think it’s cute. And you were right last night. After all of this you deserve to have what you want for a while. I doubt your father will see it as that, but I do.”

“I knew there was a reason I loved you.”

“So my charming personality and dashing good looks have nothing to do with it?” I would have thought he was offended if I hadn’t seen the goofy smile on his face.

“Nope!” I popped the ‘p’, something I knew he hated.

“You know, I can set you down and leave you. No one would find you for a while.”

“What? No! I’m sorry! I won’t do it again!” He laughed at me as I clung tighter to him. “It’s beautiful out here.”

“Yeah, it is. Almost as—”

“Really? You already have me. No need for one liners.”

“You’re no fun!”

“I beg to differ! If I wasn’t any fun you wouldn’t have gotten me pregnant to begin with.”

“Too true.” He mused. “You’re right, you are fun!”

I laughed and kissed his cheek. “How much longer can we be out here?”

“Until sunset. But I think I should have you inside before then. The nights are getting colder and colder. I don’t want you to catch a cold—Will would have my head.”