Chapter 10

"Sakura! You have a letter," said Hinata as she handed her the beige envelope.

"For me?" She took it, and almost immediately recognized the neat and scripted handwriting on the front. Hinata peered at it from behind her. "Who is it from?" her quiet voice asked.

Sakura had a big smile on her face. "It's from Mom," she told Hinata happily as she carefully unsealed it. Hinata returned her smile. "Really? You must be really happy," she said.

"Yeah, I hope they're doing well without me..." Her smile faded as she recalled the moment when she left them. "Sakura?"

She snapped out of it as Hinata had a gentle smile on her face. "I'm sure they are," she said reassuringly. "I came here to support my clan, too. Did you know that? Uchiha pays very well to his servants, I'm sure that they are being supported just fine." Sakura smiled back. "Yeah."

She took out the piece of paper and began reading.

To our dearest Sakura,

How are you doing? I hope that you are doing well. If you don't send a letter back, Dad and I understand. A maid servant's job never ceases, right? I'm just so glad that our daughter managed to snag such a well-paying job and is happy with it too. Do you remember that kind old lady that lent us her basement? Well, I'm sorry to say, she passed away a while back. We held a lovely funeral for her, but that's not the only thing that worries me and Dad. Her son inherited the house and told us that we would have to pay daily rent. We're just not sure how we're going to pay for it, but I'm sure we'll manage. Sakura, please don't worry yourself over this. We're happy that you found a new home for yourself that provides everything you need. Since you're nineteen now, it is a suitable age to get married, isn't it? I do hope that when you see us again, you would have a fiancé that loves you more than your parents do. Live healthy, Sakura, and make sure that you don't forget us, okay? We love you, Mom.

The letter dropped from her hand.

Hinata put a hand on her shoulder, concerned. "Are you okay?" Sakura didn't hear her as thoughts bunched up in her mind. Her parents had to pay rent. How would they receive enough money for it? The money she sent would only suffice for food and water purposes. Even if she did send more money, it would take at least a month for the cash to fall into the hands of her parents.

She didn't even realize she was crying until a wet tear dropped from her cheek to her hand. Hinata noticed this and said urgently, "Sakura? Sakura, are you doing okay?"

Her words echoed as tears threatened to choke Sakura, the world swirling from white to black, white to black, until her consciousness was no more.

-

-

-

She was really getting tired of getting stuck in the infirmary all the time.

"Are you awake yet?"

A smooth voice jolted her eyes to fly open, looking side to side as the man sighed, "You really are weird, you know that?" Her breath caught.

Sasuke.

Sure enough, he was sitting there, black hair messily brushed and looking as gorgeous as ever as she stammered, "Uchiha- what? I was- wait-" He held up a hand. "Please don't make this harder for me that it already is. Let me explain, as much as I hate to do it. You fainted."

Even at this Sakura had to retain from rolling her eyes at the completely obvious explanation. "I know that," she said under her breath, then said sweetly, "I'm sorry for being so forward, but may I ask why I fainted?"

His eyes narrowed with irritation. "Honestly? I don't know." She sighed. "Then why are you here, Uchiha?" His nose flared. "Was that sass?"

She covered her mouth. "I- I'm sorry," she apologized immediately. He sighed. "Well, don't apologize. It gets on my nerves." She looked away, deciding that not saying anything would suffice best for her.