Chapter 45

He whirled around, swinging blindly as whoever was there dodged.

"Itachi," he said in a low growl, looking around with sheer bloodlust. "Give me back my wife."

"No," said his disembodied voice as something kicked Sasuke on the side as he doubled over with pain. "She is not your wife yet."

"What do you want with her?!" he shouted.

Even though he couldn't see him, he imagined Itachi smiling. "I don't want to do anything with her. I've treated her properly as my guest." Sasuke glared through the night, trying to sense his presence. "Like you did!"

Another blow hit him across the face as he coughed, the taste of blood gagging him. "I know that- that she has cuts all over her body. She's very thin. You've been torturing her, Itachi!"

Wham. Something slapped him across the face as he fell to the ground. "I haven't tortured anyone," he said, his bored-yet quite slick voice still consistent. "I brought her good food and water. She refused it. I did have to tie her up in chains, but it was her who decided to flail so much. I have done nothing wrong."

"Lies!"

Suddenly, Sasuke's arm swung outward as he hit something solid. A wolf's yelp echoed in the darkness as Itachi materialized, transforming from wolf to human as he slumped against the tree. "Is that all you've got?" Sasuke shouted. "I've been waiting for this day far too long."

"And so have I," Itachi murmured as he got up. "Your sensory skills have improved. Sakura is a good kilometer away; your Sharingan must have sharpened."

There are three special abilities known to man, passed down from clan to clan.

The Byakugan: Eyes that told the unseen.

The Rinnegan: Eyes so mysterious even the user doesn't know what its true purpose is.

And lastly...

The Sharingan, eyes which granted shape-shifting ability and mind control. Its power was used for many wicked deeds in the past, and people jealous of the Uchiha's sole power stole their eyes every generation. Shisui Uchiha was one whose eyes were taken.

"It has," he said, stalking towards him in a careful manner. "Oh, it has, and I've been holding back my power just to take you down."

"I look forward to it, little brother."

Sasuke unsheathed his sword- the family heirloom passed through the Uchiha clan. Back when they were still the police force, everyone had a sword like this- but when they all died, the village melted them down. This was probably the last original left.

He approached him with a loud shout, advancing swiftly and quickly. Itachi barely had time to raise a hand before it gushed out blood. "You're weak, Itachi," Sasuke smirked as he rested the blood-dripping sword on his shoulder, then took a step forward and swung again.

This time, he jumped- jumped to an ungodly extent as his sword smashed through tree and bark. Sasuke pulled it free; or, tried to pull it free- but the blade was firmly lodged in the wood.

"My, my, you've still got a lot to learn, Sasuke."

He didn't cover his back.

A firm kick was delivered to his backside as Sasuke barely avoided his nose breaking; but his luck wasn't all that great as the still-healthy nose was replaced by a deep gash to the cheekbone.

He had no time to regret; he simply gritted his teeth and whirled around with a quick punch. Itachi dodged; the punch threw him off balance and yet another kick was delivered to Sasuke, Itachi swinging with his heel this time.