Chapter 37

An old dream came to chase her through the dark, lonely night.

Angry wolf howls pierced the moon as Sakura ran, breathless, her hair and eyes wild. She looked around, side to side, as she tried to hoist herself onto a tree with fail.

THe padding of paws grew louder and closer with every second, her heartbeat erratic as her pants grew louder, desperation growing in her eyes.

Then, a pair of red, red eyes glared at her from behind the tree. Its mouth was open in a full-toothed snarl.

"Gotcha."

And she screamed, teeth closing around her arm, until the pain disappeared and she found herself in a dark, empty chamber.

Her arm was bleeding freely to stain white, pure white, that seemed out of place with the dark and grimy atmosphere. Sakura glanced down with her heartbeat thumping in her ears- and bit back a scream.

Her ball gown, covered in tears and both dried and fresh blood.

-

-

-

"No!"

Sakura woke up with a start from her terrifying nightmare as she panted deep breaths, her heartbeat slowly decreasing back to its normal rate.

Sasuke lay sleeping soundly beside her, arms wrapped around her waist. She smiled softly as she ruffled his hair.

It was about a two weeks after they got engaged- the wedding would be in a month's time, as Sasuke gave the servants three weeks' off for their hard work. Nevertheless, the manor was completely empty with just the two of them inside.

She and Sasuke had been sleeping together for the entire time, right after the ball. Nothing happened- at least not yet.

Her thoughts trailed back to the horrifying dream. "What was that?" she wondered to herself as Sasuke hugged her tighter subconsciously.

It had been a long time since her nightmares- after she woke up from the hospital (and after they shared their kiss), no dreams bothered her. At least, no major ones.

Even so, the dreams before the hospital were unsettling as it was- but it never went that far.

"Woken up?"

His deep morning voice snapped Sakura out of her trance as she turned to face him, smiling. "Definitely."

He smiled as he leaned in to kiss her. "Good morning." She gave him a hug. "Ready for breakfast?"

"Yeah. I'm starving."

The two of them started to take turns making breakfast, both smiling ridiculously happily every morning. Ah, the bliss of a newlywed...

Or rather, they weren't newlyweds yet... there was still about three weeks to go. The servants were coming back next week, where the preparation for the wedding would begin. They both couldn't wait.

Her thoughts just wandered back to the dream she had when Sasuke came back with a stack of pancakes and syrup. She tried to chase the thoughts out of her head as she smiled. "Pancakes this time, huh?"

He nodded as he handed her a fork. "Hope it's good."

"I bet it is."

She took a bite and smiled against the cold metal of the fork. "It's delicious," she said while chewing the cake. "They're coming back next week, aren't they?" Sasuke spoke up. Sakura nodded, swallowing the pancake. "Yep."

Most of them departed for their families, Sasuke offering to pay for their transport graciously. Naruto decided to tag along with Kakashi, whom they were good friends with. They were traveling around the country, due back in three days' time to 'check up on them'.

"When's the wedding date, exactly?"

Sasuke pondered it. "I'm thinking on Saturday three weeks from now. Sound good to you?" Sakura nodded, satisfied. "Oh... you're going to have to pay for a new dress, huh?" Sakura asked sheepishly.

To her surprise, he shook his head and smiled. "No. Remember your ball dress? I was planning to have it your wedding dress, ever since I bought it for you."

Normally, she would be struck with surprise and delight, but the only thing she felt was the shock of fear. Flashes through her head; the bloodstained dress with her mangled legs, the rustle of bushes, red eyes through the dark wood.

"No!" she blurted out.

He frowned. "No? Why not?"

Sakura stammered, "I mean, I just- I feel your thoughtfulness, really, I'm just... not..." Sasuke studied her carefully. "Did something happen?"

Darn.

She sighed. "I had a dream." His eyes widened. "A dream?"

And so she explained, the bone-chilling dream that felt so real and yet so surreal at the same time. "I was wearing that dress," she admitted as she hugged her bare arms.

She knew she was being silly. It was simply a dream, after all- but she just had the feeling, that it might be more than a dream. Sasuke studied her. "You're not kidding, are you?"

"No. I'm not. I'm just really creeped out, Sasuke."

He clambered up to the bed and hugged her tightly. "Listen. It's all okay- I'll be with you at all times, okay? And your bridesmaids would be with you too... we'd know in an instant if something like that ever happened to you. Never go outside without me or Kakashi around, okay?" She nodded, thankful.

She let out a small laugh. "Isn't this the part where the fiance shakes their head and says that it's only a dream?" He kissed her lightly on the forehead. "Nothing like that would ever happen to me, Sakura. I know that it's not just a dream..."

The two of them lay in silence for a moment, the pancakes left sadly still on the table.

"You know, I have dreams like that too."

Sakura turned towards him, surprised. "Nightmares?"

He seemed troubled. "No, that specific dream you just mentioned... that kind of dream's happened to me, too. Actually, that exact scene in the beginning, with the wolves chasing you... I've dreamt about that too."

Sakura stared at him in shock. "What do you mean, you've dreamt about that too? How could that be possible..."

"I don't know. And I understand why I would dream about wolves... but why? Why you..."

Chills emitted down her spine. "I don't know. Maybe it's someone I met? But... I'm sorry, but can we drop the subject? I'm getting kind of scared..."

He stared down at her for a moment, then smiled softly and kissed her head. "Whatever you want, Sakura. Whatever you want."

-

-

-

I'm sorry, I know this is short... but I was really excited >.<

And to all of you that thinks it's Itachi... maybe you're right, maybe you're not... you never know right? :cue evil laugh:

Anyway, have a lovely day or night, readers!

-Storywriter-