Grasping Freedom

**********************************************

Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes. This chapter has not been edited by my awesome editor ^-^

**********************************************

Prologue

My nerves were starting to resurface again as I stared at the twelve people who would seal my fate. The woman on the last row on the left corner stood up. She cleared her throat and looked me straight in the eye. It was easy to tell that there was disgust on the woman's face.

"What has the Jury decided?" The Judge asked. He was sitting behind the bench. His gaze flickering between the jury and me. He had a hard face. His eyes were a dark brown with flecks of a lighter brown. His hair was a dirty blond colour with gray hair on the sides. He had a crooked nose like he had broken it in the past He waited patiently as the woman had one last talk with the rest of the Jury. I looked back behind me. My mother was crying and my father holding her. My brothers face was set in a grimace with a bit of anger and sadness. My twin brother and I were always close so I was able to read him fairly easily. He turned to me and shot me a weak smile. I returned it with my own sad smile. My younger brother and sister weren't here and I was glad for that. I didn't what them to see me like this. I turned to face my lawyer. He was a good looking man with crystal blue eyes and raven black hair. He had a straight nose that suited him well and a strong jaw line. He was also wearing a suit of course. He looked at me sympathetically and turned back to the Jury. He was thinking the same as me, which isn't very good for me.

"After weeks of a hung jury we've reached a decision." The woman frowned at the first part. Hung Jury? That was good right? My palms were sweating. I felt a drop of sweat slide down the side of my face.I felt my heart constrict. It was getting harder to breathe. Taking deep breaths trying to calm myself, I focus back on the jury. In the back ground I could hear my mother sobbing silently. We were all thinking the same and the woman just confirmed my suspicions. "We find the defendant Guilty in the first degree of murder." She said with a smug look on her face. She turned to me and smirked. I looked away and turned to the people in the court talking amongst themself's. I felt a tear slide down my cheek but I quickly wiped it away so nobody could see that I was crying. Some of the people in court were saying "She deserves to go to prison after what she did." and others were saying "This is wrong. She didn't do anything." I looked back at my family. Mum had started to hyperventilate and dad was trying to calm her down. His face expression just tore me apart. Never in my entire life have I seen my Dad cry. I had to look away for fear I would just turn into a puddle of tears. I turned back to my lawyer who was already looking at me.

"I'm so sorry. I did everything I could." It looked like he also had tears in his eyes.

"It's okay, I know you did and I thank you for that." He took a step closer to me and gave me a hug. I know most of you would think that it's weird to hug your lawyer if you lost but what the Court didn't know was that Logan a.k.a my lawyer was also my cousin. He was adopted so we have different last names. I'm glad he took my case because I don't think I would want anyone else too. Also if the court found out not only will it be bad for both of us but he wouln't be able to take the case because of "Conflict of Interest." Then again I don't think anyone would like to take my case and helping "someone like me." I shook my head to get away from these thoughts.

"I'm gonna get you free but I don't know how long that will take. I'm sorry." I stepped back to see a tear slide down his face. It's a wonder I have cried yet. Usually I'm a balling mess when I watch a sad movie.

"It's okay I know you will." I said trying to be hopefully. I felt big arms go around my shoulders and gave me a big squeeze. I turned around to look at my twin, Vince.

"It's not right you going to prison. What's wrong with those people." He shook his head in anger and looked back to me with a very sad expression. He started to talk but I cut him off.

"No. Don't go looking for something to get me free or start baking a cake with a nail file in it, Okay? Just stay out of it and let the professionals do there job. No one in this family needs to get another family member in Prison." He gave me a crooked smile and gave me one last tight hug. I stepped out of his arms and went to my parents."Dad I promise I won't get a tear drop tattoo." I said trying to cheer up my parents a little.

"You better not young lady because you won't be in there very long so don't get anything permanent done." Dad said in fierce tone but I could see right through it. I gave him a hug and turned to my broken, fragile Mum. It hurt me so much to know that I was the cause of her sadness.

"Mum I love you so much and i'm so sorry for putting you through this. You deserve a much better daughter, I don't know how I got so lucky with a family like this one." Trying to say something that Mum will remember. She gave me a hug and wept in my arms. I held her tightly trying to remember everything about her and my family, Trying to hold on to this memory of this hug. I just only wish that it was under different circumstances. I let her go and she leaned back on Dad.

"Your so brave sweetheart. I'm very proud of you for staying so strong. Your a wonderful daughter and I couldn't ask for a better one. We'll get through this and you'll come home back to us in no time. I love you so much honey." My Mum said and my Dad nodding in agreement.The sound of the judges hammer caught all of our attention.

"Order in this court room." Wow. How cliche. "Everyone needs to sit down now or go outside." We all sat down. "Very good." He stopped talking and turned to the person who had come up to talk with the judge. I looked at the man closely and realised it was one of the Jury members. He was obviously against me with the way he was looking at me before. Actually it was almost the same look the woman who read my verdict gave me before. I looked back at the Judge and saw him nod a couple of times. The Jury member walked back over to his seat and the Judge sat back in his chair. He turned towards my direction. Oh god he's going to say how long I'll be in prison for. I gulped and waited for what he had to say. Underneath the table I felt Logan's hand squeeze mine reassuringly.

"I sentence the defendant to fifteen to twenty years in prison. There will be no bail at this point. Nor will there be getting off on good behavior." I felt my face drain from any colour. The judge turned back to look at me. "I'm afraid your just too dangerous to have walking around the streets." I felt like laughing. Me? Dangerous? As if hearing my thoughts Vincent Snorted. He obviously thought the same way too. The Judge gave my brother a dirty look and turned to the policemen giving them a nod. They both walk over to me. I stood up again and turned around so they could cuff me. Again. I felt the cool metal press against my skin and tightened around my wrists. They tugged me towards the door where I knew reporters will be lurking out there for the scoop. I looked back at my family and gave them a small sad smile before heading out the door to my unfortunate fate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thank you so much so for reading my story. It really means a lot. If you have any ideas on who could play the characters PLEASE TELL ME!!!!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^