Chapter 12 - Arrival on Naboo

Darth Vader and his young apprentice Biggs Darklighter sat in the aft command seats of the Sith Lord's shuttle. Young Biggs strained his neck, interfering with the command crew piloting the shuttle to Theed, the capital city of Naboo.

Lieutenant Piett sat in the main cabin with a full squad of elite stormtroopers from the 501st legion. Troopers filled every seat, with the rest crammed into every standing position in the center aisle. This squadron was Vader's personal bodyguard for official visits with their duties ranging from formal panoply to special operations.

Vader's eyes focused on the golden Palace of Theed as the pilots began landing procedures. The green-domed building dazzled the eyes. Smaller domes surround it, interspersed with red brick pathways. Pathways where we held hands and talk and planned our futuresso many memories of her. Salty tears hit his lips the shuttle landed. How can she still do this to me? I don't know if I can do this. He looked over at Luke—Biggs, now, call him Biggs. Too many people would recognize Naberrie here. That was her family name.

Biggs leaned forward, looking out of the viewscreen. He spoke in wonder. "Wow! I never knew anything could be this green. It's beautiful."

Vader smiled under his helmet, remembering the first time that he had seen Naboo, thinking the same thing. The shuttle approached the palace, a sprawling complex of marble.

The boy sighed as the massive structure appeared in the viewport.

"Impressive, isn't it?" the Sith Lord asked.

He nodded, his eyes wide in wonder. "How big is it? It seems to go on forever."

Vader chuckled. "Not that large. One day you will see Coruscant, and then you will understand what 'forever' means." He reached forth his hand and mussed his son's hair fondly. You would have loved him, Padmé. He's so much like you.

"Can we explore it?" He pointed beyond the viewscreen. "What are those tall things in that courtyard?" He pressed his face up against the plas-glass. Fog formed around his mouth and nose, leaving his prints on the viewport.

Vader followed the boy's finger pointing to a courtyard of marble with benches and potted plants. "Those are called 'trees.' Sometimes fruit grows on them. Others have nuts. Some are even big enough to climb."

"Climb? Can we climb one?"

The dark lord sighed. "Perhaps, but not for a few days. I have business to attend to."

As the shuttle thruster vents purged their excess steam, the loading ramp lowered

As the shuttle thruster vents purged their excess steam, the loading ramp lowered. The contingent of stormtroopers double-stepped into an honor guard on either side.

At the other end of the landing pad, the head of the queen's security, Captain Typho, stood with a small security force. The line of guards stood at attention as the breeze buffeted their maroon and navy uniforms, threatening to rip their caps from their heads.