Chapter 50 - A New Life

Mon Mothma leaned back in her executive chair and rubbed her forehead. "Padmé, sit before you collapse. Bail, you might as well, too."

"Thank you, Your Excellency."

"I don't know which of you I'm more angry at. You for breaking out the Med Center and pulling this farce, or you for charging her for perjury—or the both of you for risking the future of your child."

Bail and Padmé started yelling back and forth until Mon stood once more. "Quiet. I'm done with this. Padmé, if you had stayed in the med center, Anakin would have been sentenced already to life. Bail, if you can't keep your personal feelings out of this, I will replace you."

The two counselors hung their heads as the Chancellor continued. "As it is, you've risked Anakin's life, as well as this Republic's. If this trial ends with a hung jury, it won't be long until they'll be ousting me from office and propping up Governor Tarkin. So end it, here, right now."

"But—"

Mothma cut Bail off. "Bail, you're not going to lose Leia. Galaxy adoption laws of war orphans are firm on that, so cut out this nonsense. Don't use Leia as your bargaining chip. Especially if you want to see her in public office in the future."

Padmé glared at Bail. Bail stared back but eventually softened his stance. "All right."

"I don't know how you two can just take my daughter away from me like this," Padmé said with the back of her hand raised to her mouth.

"This trial isn't about Leia. It's about Anakin. Any jury is going to declare him guilty. The public won't allow anything else."

"You've already decided. Where's the justice in this?" Padmé asked. "This government is no better than the Empire. Maybe we were better with Sidious."

Bail grabbed her hands. "Padmé, you don't mean that. Anakin is guilty. Deep in your heart, you know that. But he's also a changed man now. I'm willing to allow him to live in a maximum security compound."

"What type of life is that?"

"On Alderaan. The Mountain Palace detention area. Give him round-the-clock guards. It's better than death."

"Can I visit him? Can Luke see him? Leia?"

Bail nodded. "You can live there with him if you want. And Luke. But I hold the controller."

"Really?" Padmé's eyes brightened.

Mon Mothma spoke up. "A few conditions."

Padmé turned to her old friend.

"Anakin can never leave the compound again."

Padmé nodded.

Bail said, "Luke and Leia continue training in the Force with Master Yoda."

Another nod.

"And you become Leia's political mentor." The last sentence Mon spoke, not Bail.

"I'm retiring, Mon. I'm done with all this."

Bail asked, "You would let Leia struggle the way you did with no one to guide her? It will be another ten years until she can serve. Just think what she would be like with you to show her the way?"

"Will Anakin get to see her?"

"Of cou—"

"No, I mean see her without supervision. Get to know her as his daughter. Maybe even teach her things about handling troops and—"

"We'll see."

"If Anakin's not involved in Leia's life, don't expect me to be either."

"You don't mean that, Padmé," Mon said.