Chapter 28 - Resolutions and Insight

Luke broke free from Queen Breha's grasp. He ran straight to Padmé and grabbed her by the arm. His mother held him close, not knowing what to say. Now was not the time to go into everything his father had done nor how that would impact the rest of their lives.

As soon as the door had shut, Mon Mothma said, "Padmé, could you have not at least given us a warning? This is such a shock. I am inclined to agree with Bail to take Anakin and try him for war crimes." 

Bail smiled. "I move that we charge Anakin at the very least for the massacre of the Jedi Younglings at the Jedi Temple. We have video proof of that, at least. For acts of treason against the Republic, too."

Yoda raised his claw. "Technically, his acts were not treasonous. He believed, albeit erroneously, that the Jedi Order had risen up to take over the Republic."

"That does not excuse the slaughter of Younglings!"

Padmé asked, "Permission to speak?"

Bail turned on her. "No, Padmé. Your loyalties in this matter are questionable. Love has blinded you to the reality of the situation."

Mon placed her hand on Bail. "Padmé, please. If you have something to add, speak."

"Are we going to try every clone trooper when this is over? I mean they are guilty of following the Emperor and committing atrocities as well."

Bail huffed. "That is entirely different. They are controlled by their chips. The fault lies with the Emperor, not with the clones."

"So, what you're saying is that they had no choice in the matter. They had to obey their Master. Is that correct?"

Bail clenched his lips together and flared his nostrils. "Yes. But they are soldiers in a war. Anakin was not."

Obi-Wan said, "While Anakin was not controlled by a chip, he was under the influence of Darth Sidious. He would have never killed the Younglings by choice. Sidious lied and manipulated him, until the dark side consumed him. He was helpless to resist."

The rest of the Alliance had watched this debate silently until Fulcrum spoke up. "Master Obi-Wan is right. I know Anakin, and he would have never done those things by choice. How can you hold him liable for things he never wanted to do? He is no more guilty than the clones."

Bail said, "Even so, how can we be sure he is not currently under the Emperor's influence even now? He could be reporting back about this meeting as we speak."

Rieekan interjected, "Your Honor, I know my men. Anakin is not contacting the Emperor as we speak."

Yoda coughed once more to get their attention. "Disavowed the Emperor, Anakin has. Released him from the evil bonds I have."

"What if we're all wrong? What if—"

Obi-Wan asked, "Bail, are you sure your fears for your family are not clouding your judgment?"

Bail shot an angry glance at Obi-Wan. He looked over at his daughter sitting beside his wife.

Mon Mothma said, "We don't have much time. I am calling a vote to bring Anakin Skywalker into the Alliance. Please indicate your vote on the console in front of you."

It took many minutes before each of the ten gathered around the table had cast their votes. Mon Mothma read the results. "It appears, we have a tie. Queen Breha, I must ask you to cast your vote."

"I can't. You don't understand. This isn't just about the Alliance. I cannot be neutral."

"I'm going to have to insist that you set any personal feelings aside and let logic rule," Mon Mothma said with firmness.