Chapter 48 - Aftermath

A red glow cast the Jedi's faces into shadows. An eerie squeal filled the hall. Even the non-sensitive covered their ears, only to find the scream permeated their souls.

The eerie lights swirled around the room, weaving between the command pods and the Rebels before sucking itself into the center of the Jedi. All sound cut off. No scream. No fans. No motors. Only the breathing of the survivors.

"Finished it is," Yoda wheezed. The tiny Jedi Master doubled-over, clutching a small item in his hands.

Obi-Wan placed his hand on Yoda's back, and Ahsoka grabbed Anakin's arm as they all turned to the crouched form of Padmé holding the spiritless form of Luke. A moan of agony emanated from Anakin's beat-up body. "Luke. No!"

He rushed to his wife's side and took the lifeless form into his arms. "Oh, Luke!" He clutched the boy to his chest. "It should have been me, not you."

Bail and Leia joined the group mourning the small boy. Held by her father's arms, Leia reached out her delicate hand to touch her brother's blue face. She jerked it back. "Oww!"

When she screamed, Bail pulled her fingers to his gaze. "What's wrong."

"I thought I felt something. Like a shock."

"I'm sorry, Sweetheart, but Luke's gone. He's dead."

"No!!! He can't be! I felt him just now," Leia cried. "I feel him. He's there. In the Force."

Master Yoda said, "That is the way of things, Leia. When our spirits leave our bodies, they join the Force. He will always be with us, though."

Leia pushed against Bail and jumped down. She grabbed Luke by the arm and shook it heavily. "Luke Skywalker, you'd better wake up right this instant. I'm done with your little games." She shook him some more. "Please."

Padmé reached up from her seat on the floor and coaxed the little girl into her arms.

"Mommy, I know he's not dead. I know it."

"Shh, Leia, it's time to let him go." She held her there, stroking her back and sharing her sorrow with copious tears of her own.

BAMMMM! BAMMMM! BAMMMM!

The blastdoors sliding back interrupted the group. "Senator, we've breached the Throne Room. Everything's clear. You may proceed."

Captain Rex clicked a button on his helmet and directed his squad of Mandalorians around the room. They secured the secret entrances while Rex joined the group. "General Kenobi, the temple is secure. Senator Mothma is en route now."

"Bring a medic up and a stretcher," Kenobi said. His clouded eyes looked at Padmé and then Luke. "And a body bag."

Rex tilted his head and said, "But, sir—"

Kenobi raised his hand to stop him and turned his head to hide his tears.

Ahsoka stepped to Rex and grabbed his arms. "Let us have a moment."

"But—"

"Rex, please, this is hard—"

Rex turned his back on her and flicked on his comm unit once more. "This is Captain Rex. We need a medical team and two stretchers up here on the double. Rex, out."

Ahsoka pulled his arm to face him. Her hardened face and gritted her teeth. "I can't believe how insens—"

The captain pushed passed her and rushed to Anakin. "General Skywalker, help's on the way." His white-armored arms reached out for the boy. "Here, let me take the boy. You don't look so hot yourself." Anakin's stony face did not relax as he gave the boy to his old friend.