Chapter 14 - An Informant

Vader stood in the main reception room of the Palace of Theed, browsing through the reports on his datapad. Lieutenant Piett stood beside him, reviewing the same reports, hoping to see a connection that they had missed.

A stormtrooper captain entered the room, striding to the Sith Lord and saluting.

Vader turned to the man. "Yes, Captain."

The former clone trooper of the 501st Legion said, "We have captured an informant, Lord Vader." His orange shoulder pad denoted his rank on the otherwise ubiquitous white armor.

"Very good."

"Evidence has led us to believe the center of this conspiracy is in the Lake Country, near Lake Paonga."

Vader rumbled in approval. "Excellent. If the informant is of no further use, dispose of him, Captain. Make him an example of what happens to Rebel scum."

"Yes, my lord." The captain pivoted on his heel, departing to carry out his orders.

"Lieutenant!"

Piett looked up from his datapad. "Yes, my lord."

"Make arrangements to move our central operations to Varykino in the Lake Country." Vader clenched his fist in the air.

"The entire contingent, my lord?"

"Leave a small force to maintain control here, but bring the boy."

"Will I be resuming the boy's education?"

"No, Lieutenant, I will need your help if we are ever to get to the bottom of this Rebellion. Bring the boy's tutor with us. She can at least keep him out of trouble." 

"Very well, my lord."

Vader departed, thinking of her. How can I go on, Padmé? This is too much. Varykino will seem empty without you.

By the time they had arrived at the Lake Country, the sun had long since set. The servants at the villa had provided the Imperial contingent with nourishment before showing them to their quarters.

Vader, though, could not sleep without his hyperbaric chamber. He found himself drawn to the moonlight that shone on the terrace above Lake Paonga. He was finally able to meditate here, gazing out across the lake, looking at the moon that had shone down on him and his Padmé so often—the place where they had joined hands fourteen years earlier at the beginning of the Clone Wars. 

Quemé spoke through the open hatches of the adjoining refresher unit

Quemé spoke through the open hatches of the adjoining refresher unit. "Into your sleeping clothes right away. You can wash in the morning. It's late."

"Oh, why do I have to go to sleep right now?" Biggs yawned. "I want to explore this place."

"Biggs, there will be plenty of time to explore this place in the morning. It is packed with plenty of history, you know."