Chapter 44 - On the Inside

"I got it," Ahsoka yelled as an access panel clattered to the marble floor.

"Great," Obi-Wan said. "But keep it down, will you."

"Just get in there, Obi-Wan," Anakin said as he looked down the passageway.  "Then you, Padmé and Master Yoda. And Bail. I'll cover our rear.

Booted footsteps in double-time tapped along the corridor. Anakin pulled the hatch cover to him with the Force and leaned it against the crawlspace portal.

"We have you now, Rebel Scum. Hands up."

A squad of stormtroopers appeared around the corner. Their guns focused on Vader, the only one left standing in the corridor. 

"His Excellency has ordered your capture, my lord."

Anakin stared at the muzzles of the blasters as he raised his hand in front of his face. "You are mistaken."

The stormtrooper sergeant replied, "I must be mistaken, Lord Vader."

"The Rebels headed down quadrant four. If you hurry, you may catch them."

The sergeant spoke into his communicator. "Rebels are splitting up now, sir. We believe they may be in quadrants four and five now, sir."

"Very well. You take quadrant four. I'll send Besh Legion to quadrant five." The communicator crackled with static.

Vader looked on as the squad jogged down the corridor. After they had cleared the corner, he quietly set the hatch to the side and entered the access tunnel. Once inside, he pulled the cover over the entry again. 

He tilted his neck and peered through the dimly lit tunnel. His helmet enhanced his vision and displayed information on the area. A ladder extended beyond even his sensors, at least sixty meters above. His auditory sensors picked up the movement of the rest of this team at least twenty meters away. 

Anakin considered leaving his helmet and cape here at the base, but he decided not to leave any trace of who had used this tunnel. Grabbing the sixth rung, he hauled himself up the ladder.

After a few minutes of climbing, he heard a scream far above. It was Ahsoka. Then one from Padmé.

"Anakin, this way's no good. Head down while you can still get out." Anakin's voice was filled with strain.

The Chosen One pulled himself up, moving faster. "I'm not leaving you. What's going on up there?"

Padmé screamed.

"Hold on, Padmé! I'm coming," Anakin hollered.

"Uggh!" Obi-Wan grunted. "Mynocks." He batted them with his hands, sending one to the ground. "Ahh, I hate these things."

Master Yoda said, "No. No. Alone leave me. Go away!" A few whacks from his gimer stick sent one of the flying beasts down the shaft, glancing off Anakin on the way down.

Anakin continued to climb, gaining distance with each scream and thud he heard above him. 

A long howl of pain followed by a body thudding as it fell down the shaft.

Obi-Wan yelled, "Padmé!" 

"Argh!" she uttered as she heaved. "Than— uhh, I'm slippiiiiiiing!"

More thuds sounded as she hit Master Yoda and Bail on the way down. 

"Catch her!" Obi-Wan yelled.

Bail said, "Ahh, I've got— I had her. Padmé!"

Anakin closed his eyes and reached out his left hand as he clutched the ladder with his right. "Padmé, just relax. You won't get past me. Trust me."