6

Anna can't speak and does everything she can to get herself under control. Once she is sure that she can speak without crying she begins again. "She's right, she's dying. Part of her is still connected to her world. The poor girl is stretched so thin. I don't know how she can stand it. It will be nothing more than a miracle if she can last the week she promised."

"Don't, please don't." Ariele begs as she sits up. "Aren't we late for a dinner?" She feels more than a little sick and would far rather go to her room.

Grey frowns, "She's not up to this little dinner Anna. She should go to her room and lie down."

Anna doesn't say anything and just looks consideringly at Ariele. But before she can say anything Ariele does, "I'm fine Grey. Just tired. And there is nothing either of you can do about that. I'll make it for as long as I promised Anna. The only time I've ever broken a promise was to that bitch of a queen. And the only reason I think that I might have that one is that the world is still there. I'm still there or at least part of me and that gives me hope that I didn't kill nearly seven billion people. I can live with breaking a promise that allows that many people to live.

"As long as I don't have to dance I can make it as long as the dinner. But Grey if you could cut it as short as possible I'd appreciate it. I'm not very hungry so whenever you determine it's okay we can go." Ariele hates being like this it reminds her of the time she was recovering in the hospital.

"No dancing tonight. I promise we'll leave as soon as possible." Grey isn't happy about this. He knows how much Ariele doesn't want to go and doesn't understand why she isn't taking the easy out provided for her.

She looks at him as if she was reading his mind, "I don't take the easy path Grey. If I did I would have died years ago and so would have my planet. I'm a survivor, tonight won't be nearly as bad as past court functions."

She looks down at her dress and looks at them ruefully, "But the biddies will be talking a great deal tonight. The dress is all wrinkled. I'm sorry Grey I messed up the dress and very likely my hair as well."

Anna laughs and Grey lets out a few expletives. He just doesn't understand women. He throws his hands up in the air and walks away.

Anna gives Ariele a hand up. "Don't worry your hair is fine. I think Grey cheated a little and set it so that it won't muss or the flowers to wilt. As for your dress," Anna says a few words and the dress looks as good as new. "Now that, that is all settled I have a gift for you before we go down."

"Taren will you bring out the box on my bed please?" Anna calls back to her bedroom. Shortly Taren looking a bit sheepish comes out with the box that Anna indicated and hands it to her.

Grey just looks at Taren hard and tries not to laugh. He's glad that Anna has finally found someone. Contrary to what Anna thinks he does remember or thinks he remembers being with Anna. He just doesn't feel that way about her and wants her to be happy. And Taren is a good man, one of the best. He couldn't have picked a better man for her.

Then he frowns a bit. Taren also has a reputation of being a love 'em and leave 'em man like himself. But Anna is a grown woman and can take care of herself in matters such as this.

Anna takes hold of the box and opens it. "This is actually a gift from Grey and I both." The gold and amethyst necklace was huge and most definitely costly.

Ariele shakes her head no and backs away. "I can't accept that Lady Anna. First you've given me such a nice room and then made me a Lady and gifted me with an estate. That necklace is far to fine for me."

Grey frowns as Anna looks confused. Grey steps to Ari's side and whispers, "You must accept the gift or you will offend her. She made it herself. It is a great honor to receive such a gift."