14

"Where?" he demands.

"He has her in his camp. He says as honored guest but according to Alexis here she's a prisoner".

Grey forgets about everything, including his animosity towards Anna and sits between her and Alexis.

Ari goes over to Taren, "Who is Jaylen? And why would he keep her prisoner?"

"Jaylen is their aunt. The baby sister to Anna's mother and Grey's father. When Anna's mother married, Jaylen had an affair with him. When Anna's mother found out she was furious and banished her. I think she regretted it though. It is said that he flagrantly cheated on her with any female that he could.

"Anna's mother although shamed could handle that but when whispers of rape came to her they fought. Shortly after that she fell ill and soon died. Father killed Anna's father after he attacked her. I just wish he'd done it sooner. That was one man that needed to die."

"Even those we know are evil need evidence against them in a trial. Father couldn't kill Anna's father until we had that evidence. He terrified the servants so they wouldn't say anything. But that attack was all father needed."

Anna is confused. "You talk as if Taren and you shared a father Grey."

"We or rather I just found out today that we do. Taren is my little brother." Grey smiles slyly. "It seems that you are keeping it in the family."

He knows that Anna gets his meaning when she turns white and splutters in rage. But she stops abruptly and Grey knows why. Alexis had started to shrink away from them both.

"It's okay Alexis. Grey might roar and thunder, but he won't hurt you. And Anna is usually more of a lady than she is right now." Ariele says giving them both black looks and pulling the cowering girl up off the couch and away from the two cousins.

"I've done far worse and Grey's never hurt me. I swear that he'll never hurt you either." Ari's calm words work like magic on the frightened girl.

Taren comes up to Ari and whispers in her ear. Ari nods and smiles which reassures the frightened girl more than anything else.

But soon Alexis forgets about the raised voices and is entranced by the lights dancing and whirling in front of her.

Over at the couch Anna and Grey are holding their own all consuming talk. "You remembered? All this time and you remembered but didn't say anything?" Anna doesn't know whether to be embarrassed or relieved.

"At first I thought it was just a fever dream. I had many of those and they seemed just as real as us. But in the dream you came to me without your scars, so I thought it was nothing more than the fever. But I had to admit for a virgin you made a very good lover.

"When Ariele made you admit the scars were gone, that's when I realized that it had been no dream. But what could I say after all these years? By the way do you remember the time? How could I do that to you? I just don't feel that way for you and I know you've worked hard to get over your romantic attachment to me." Grey explains and for the first time since the night before he feels no anger or resentment towards her. Pity perhaps but not anger.

Anna can feel the change in him, but she also feels the pain from that time so long ago. "I know you've never felt that way for me. I'm sorry Grey, I've made a mess of things. I don't deserve to be mistress here. Perhaps Jaylen would make a better mistress than I."

"First, don't you think you should get her here?" Ari thinks it time to change the subject.

Anna wipes her eyes and Grey gives her hand a little squeeze. All is forgiven. She squeezes back.