23

Grey holds Ari and watches her sleep even as the light fades and shadows lengthen and still she doesn't stir. The longer she sleeps like this the more Grey is convinced that time might have run out on them and he can't help the tears.

"Grey you're holding me too tight, I can't breathe." Ari says or rather mumbles. She still isn't fully awake but is more responsive than she had been earlier.

Grey immediately lessens his hold on her, but growls in annoyance as there comes a knock on the door.

Grey lets go of his wife and answers the door ready to let loose his anger on whoever the unlucky person was.

And he swallows his words before they are said. "Anna, Taren and Jeshua and Jaylen. All four. Here. Why?" he keeps his words short because he's holding tight to his temper and he's afraid that if he loosens control again that he'll lambaste the four in front of him. And from their expressions they are afraid of that as well, except Jaylen.

"We've come to see Ari. Now let us in you ungrateful dolt." Jaylen says peremptorily. Automatically Grey moves back and allows them entrance.

"I do so love the smell of roses, very nice Grey, now go get your wife." Once more Jaylen takes charge.

"Now I see why Lady Krista was afraid Lady Jaylen would take over the castle." Taren whispers to Jeshua. And in return receives nasty looks from Anna and Jaylen herself.

Not even Grey dares to ignore Jaylen's order. "Ari, Ari sweetheart wake up." Grey says as he gently tries to wake her up.

"Never mind that Grey just bring her over here." Jaylen is irritable at how long Grey is taking. She doesn't like being away from the library/lab right now, but this is important as well.

Grey gathers Ari up and takes her to the table where the others wait. Jaylen delves into Ari to see if there is anything more than anticipated in Ari's weariness. She nods to herself, it's just as she thought, just the weakness due to the pull.

"Hold her Grey. This is a potion that will give her more energy for a short time. Say maybe twenty-four hours." She looks compassionately at her favorite nephew. "It's all I can do Grey. It will give her nearly normal energy for that short time, but after that...she's close to her death Grey, you must prepare for that." And she turns to Jeshua.

"It isn't common knowledge that she's dying. We don't want it known either. You were only allowed in because these three all trust you. And when she dies, her maid, Alexis? Right, Alexis, she will need you. I owe Alexis for helping me escape that monster. So when Lady Ariele dies, as soon as your duties allow you take care of Alexis, you hear?"

"Yes, ma'am." Jeshua doesn't say anything. Jaylen is far more scary than Ariele is, but he isn't afraid of her. Knowing that Ariele has so little time left saddens him and will do more than that for Alexis.

Grey holds Ari upright in a sitting position. Jaylen coaxes her to take the potion. She forces Ari to swallow even though this is worse than the restorative Anna had given her before. Once the potion had been swallowed Jaylen steps back.

"It should start to work shortly. Jeshua will send Alexis in with food. After that you'll be left alone."

"Jeshua stays." Grey says. He doesn't want to have to worry about protecting Ari if all he has are a few hours with her.

"They won't even know I'm here." Jeshua swears and he means to put up a shield as soon as the two finish dinner. He has no desire to hear anything that goes on between the two of them. Besides he found a little box, a plain box, in the market place that he's carving as a gift for Alexis.