10

"Steve, can you give me a haircut?"

There was dead silence in the kitchen.

My Dad comes over and stands by him. "Sure, did Hydra ever give you a haircut?" My Dad winces.

Bucky laughs. "Yeah, I wouldn't let them though. I remember shoving the scissors down the men-" He paused and then he laughed. "Never mind."

My Dad smiled. "Calla, watch the noodles. Come on Bucky." He waved him into the bathroom.

I smiled. My Dad looked so happy! So I watched the noodles. After a few minutes, I heard the sound of a razor being turned on and a few soothing words. Then my Dad and Bucky walked back into the kitchen.

My Dad smiled. "He looks just like how he did in-" He stopped. "1943."

Bucky didn't look too happy about his new haircut but he sat back down on his stool. "Thanks." He said.

I poured the noodles into the strainer and started heating up the sauce. "It looks great, Uncle Bucky."

He winced. "Thanks. How long are you going to keep calling me Uncle?"

"Um, forever?" I shrugged.

He looked down at the countertop. "I'm not really your Uncle though."

I sighed and sat down across from him. "Tony, Pepper, Clint, Natasha, Thor, Jane, and Bruce aren't really my Aunt and Uncle's but I still call them that." I sat a glass of water in front of him. "Even if I am dating Jake Stark."

Bucky spits out his water. "You're dating Stark's kid?" He turned to my Dad. "Do you know about this?"

My Dad grimaced. "Unfortunately yes, I do. They don't do anything bad though. I don't really trust Eva and Blaze though." He mumbled.

I laughed. "They still won't tell me what they did."

My Dad's eyes widened. "They did something?"

I handed him a bowl of spaghetti and set one down in front of Bucky. "Yeah. But Eva was on her phone most of the sleepover and I personally don't understand mine." I grabbed a bowl for myself.

My Dad slurps up a noodle. "Then why did I buy it?"

I shrugged. "So I can call you?"

Bucky watches us in amazement. "Steve, you've raised her right." He mumbles.

Dad gives us a watery smile. "She's still a kid Bucky."

"Hey!" I wipe spaghetti sauce off my mouth. "I'm fourteen!"

Bucky laughs. "Hey Steve, remember when I was fourteen?"

My Dad laughs. "Yeah, you were shipping off-" He stops in his sentence and clears his throat. "We still had sleepovers. We put the couch pillows on the floor, it was wild."

Bucky smiles. "That was right after- You know what? Never mind." He focuses on his spaghetti.

I put my bowl in the sink. "I'm done. I'm going to my room." I kissed my Dad and Bucky on the cheek, who flinched.

But instead of going to my room, I hid behind the wall of the bathroom and listened to their conversation.

"Bucky, she really looks up to you." I heard my Dad say.

A scratchy voice replied. "Yeah, and I don't know why."

I peeked my head around and looked at my Dad who placed a hand on his metal arm. "Bucky. You saved my life."

Bucky pulled his arm away. "You were my mission, and I failed."

My Dad pulled Bucky closer. "Bucky. That doesn't matter anymore."