24

"Calla, are you sure about this?" My Dad asked nervously.

I nodded. "Yeah, just lift me up."

My Dad grabbed me by the waist and lifted me above the door frame and I started doing pull-ups on the bar.

"Calla, tell me if you start to hurt. Okay?"

I nodded and advanced onto my sixth pull up. Seventh. Eighth. Ninth. Tenth and soon twentieth.

I dropped into my Dad's arms and he set me back in my wheelchair.

"That's pretty good for someone who hasn't worked out in about two weeks," he said.

I nodded and took a drink of water as the phone rang. 

My Dad went and got it.

"Hello?" He said. "Yes, this is he. I'll be right over there." 

He hung up the phone.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

My Dad ran his hand through his hair. 

"Bucky is having a panic attack. He punched three holes in the wall already and he's screaming for me. I can't leave you-"

"Dad, go. Jake will be here in an hour or so." I rolled over to him. "I'm fine. Bucky needs you more than me."

He stroked my hair and grabbed his keys and ran out the door and drove away.

I sighed and rolled myself to the remote and turned it on. It turned on to the news which was talking about something I forgot what. I mindlessly watch it for an hour until the doorbell rang.

I roll over to get it.

"Hello- Jake what happened to your face?" I cried at the sight of a nasty bruise and cuts on Jake's face.

Everyone stepped inside while Jake said "After you left, at lunch when the teachers weren't looking, Devin punched me. It didn't knock me down but I punched him back and it knocked him out."

I took his hand and said, "Come on I'll get you some ice."

I rolled into the kitchen to get the ice.

"It warms my heart to see Devin's feet go over his head like that." Eva smiled.

Blaze frowned. "He tried punching me too. That's why I was so angry during PE."

Eva took his hand between her two and rubbed them.

I reached into the freezer and brought out an ice pack for Jake.

"Well, we're just a hot mess aren't we?" I made Jake sit on the bar stool while I put the ice on his face.

"Yeah, Calla got stabbed, Jake got beat up and Blaze almost lost his temper," Scarlet said.

"Hey, I'm almost better." I protested. "Then I can beat Prim and Devin. I just did twenty pull-ups."

"You just did twenty?" Jake took the ice pack off his eye.

I nodded.

"Now it's my turn to take care of you," I said and snapped my fingers. "Oh, I made you something in art!"

I wheeled away and reached into my backpack and took out the picture and said: "Here, it's an anniversary present."

He pulled the ice pack off so he could look at it.

"Did you take a picture?" He traced the outline of the fountain with his finger.

"No, I drew that today. It's better than me getting stabbed."