18

I wanted to be strong and just hug him. But the truth was, I sobbed like a baby.

"Jake-" I leaned into his shoulder.

"Calla, I know you're going to say that I didn't need to do that. But I love you. I know people say that love doesn't last forever but-"

"Jake! Sit down!" I scolded him.

He sat down. "Oh yeah. I know people say that love doesn't last forever but, we have a different kind of love. The kind that does last forever." He wiped the tears off my face. "Calla, I love you and nothings going to change that."

He held me while I sobbed. "Jake- I love you too. Love may be oblivious but I don't want to know what happens between now and forever." I sobbed.

He kissed me and people around us cheered. Jake pumped his fist in the air and all the boy's wolf whistled. He pulled apart flushed and happy.

I wiped the tears from my eyes.

"Help me back in this wheelchair before my Dad gets suspicious," I told him.

He smiled and picked me up like a princess and set me back in my wheelchair.

While he was wheeling me back, a young woman stopped us.

"Young man, that was beautiful. What happened to your girlfriend?" She asked Jake.

Jake thanked her. "She got stabbed in the side."

"Ah, so this is Calla Rogers." She said. "My little girl adores you. You see, she's here with leukemia and I was wondering if you could stop by and say hi to her?"

My heart rose.

"I would love to." I looked up at Jake. "Do you mind taking me there?"

He nodded and turned to the woman.

"Show us the way." He told her.

The woman led us down twisting hallways and into a small but clean room, she told us to wait outside.

"Honey?" Was what we heard inside. "I have someone here to meet you."

She motioned us to come in.

"Hi." Was all I said.

The girl looked about eleven or twelve with a shiny bald head.

"Is it really you?" The girl asked.

I smiled, realizing I had a fan.

"Yeah, it's really me." I cleared my throat. "What's your name?"

"Kiana." She said. "But my friends call me Kia." She said.

I wheeled myself closer to her bed.

"So you have leukemia huh? That sucks." I said.

"It's not as bad as it seems." She said and leaned closer to me. "Did you really get stabbed, or is that a rumor?"

I shifted my sweatpants and my tank top to show her the bandages.

"Yeah, they're sewing it up today," I whispered. "I tried to go back to school but it started to get worse."

Kia's eyes widened. "You go to my school, I see you all the time." She blushed. "You never notice me though."

"Next time I go back to school, I'll make sure and talk to you," I said.

"If I ever get out of here," Kia whispered.

Jake cleared his throat behind us. "Calla, we better get going-"