14

"Because I know my Bucky."

That sentence hung in the air for a couple of minutes while I drove.

"Here." I quickly turned off the engine and followed my Dad inside.

"We need a doctor! Anyone!" My Dad bursts through the front doors.

"Steve, Steve what's wrong?" Sam came running to us.

"Bucky choked himself. Can you get us a doctor?" 

"Sure, Doctor Farley! You are needed on ground 1!" Sam ran to a phone on the wall and talked into it. He ran back over to us. 

"Why do you think he choked himself?"

"Flashbacks," was all my Dad said.

Who I assumed was Doctor Farley came running down the stairs. "Who is this?"

"James Barnes, he choked himself, he's not dead, just knocked out." My Dad says.

"We need him in an operating room. Nurse Crowley! We need you!"

A woman who looked about 5'0, with another foot of attitude came rushing into the room. Her brown hair was swept tightly into a bun at the nape of her neck and her footsteps make silent pings on the polished floor as she ran.

"We need a gurney!" She called. "What happened to this man?" 

She peeked under the flannel blankets.

"He choked himself." My Dad said stiffly.

"With his metal arm. Got that." She pulled the gurney over to her side. "Put him on here." She said.

My Dad placed Bucky on the gurney and held his metal hand as they swept him away to the operating room. My Dad was placed in a room where he could watch.

I ran into the room to see my Dad, not crying. 

Which was surprising.

"Dad, Dad are you okay?"

He gazed into the operating room. 

"I can't believe he did that. He didn't ask for me or anything."

I hugged him. 

"Dad, people do that when they think they have no way out. Bucky had a bunch. He'll be okay," I told him.

He sat back in one of those hard plastic chairs. "Now he has to live here again."

I sat down next to him and rubbed his back. 

"Dad-"

He stood up. 

"I'm fine. I'm fine. It's him I'm worried about. Fuck, now he's suicidal. Great, just great." 

I saw him grit his teeth.

"Dad, he's got the best people to take care of him," I said and leaned into his shoulder.

"Yeah, he'll be here for another twenty years again." He put his face in his hands.

I rubbed his back and looked in the operating room. 

"Dad! Look! He's waking up!"

My Dad stood up. 

It was true, Bucky was coughing and sat up, but then laid back down when he realized where he was.

"Please! Just let me die!" He cried. "Steve! Steve, where are you?" He thrashed around.

My Dad stood up. "Bucky?" He ran toward the door.