2 -Garrett

Song of the chapter - Basket case by Green day

I woke up sweating in the middle of the night, again. It had been years since I had this dream, well a form of this dream anyway. But ever since I left the little mouse standing next to her d-bag excuse for a boyfriend, the dream had come back. Every. Single. Night.

When I was a kid, my mom put me in therapy to deal with the stress and the dreams. The therapist told me that recurring nightmares were caused by a repressed fear that hadn't been dealt with. He said I would most likely continue having the dream until my fear had been addressed.

He was right. The second I dealt with my fear in court, the dreams stopped. I hadn't had it since that day. Until now, that is. It was just as bad as the first time.

Well, actually, it was worse. The first time things were completely out of my control. This time, I felt like the cause. At least the cause of it continuing that long.

I should never have walked away. I knew I felt guilty but I hadn't realized I was also afraid. I was actually afraid for the little mouse. Her situation hadn't escalated to life and death, yet. However, a-holes like Matt were unpredictable. I should know. I've dealt with his kind before so I knew the road that she was on. Dang! What's her name? I couldn't think of her as anything but little mouse.

Unlike most people, I liked mice. They're clever, sneaky. They survived in all types of environments. They're small, soft, easily spooked. Cute.

Like her.

I hadn't been able to get her eyes out of my head since I looked right into them and saw her fear, her weakness, and most surprising, her strength. It was weak to stay with Matt, but still, she had a strength that came through. I wasn't expecting it. It made her greenish, brown eyes seem much more soulful.

She really was pretty, I wasn't playing when I told her that. But she didn't need me drooling over her right now. That girl needed help. I told myself I had done all I could, she'd made her decision. Even though that decision sucked.

I still couldn't figure out what made her stay there that day. He didn't deserve someone like her. She cared about his safety when he put her in danger. She made him feel secure about their relationship when pretty much the whole school knew he messed around behind her back. She was too good for him and that made my blood boil. He treated her like a possession.

He needed to be stopped.

I knew exactly how to stop those nightmares. Stop him. I couldn't let her walk back to him this time, I needed to force her to leave him. She wasn't safe.

Now I just had to figure out how to convince her. I could already tell she was afraid of me, the way she hesitated when I took a step towards her. The only thing any of the a-holes at that school knew about me was my scar. They all assumed I must be a huge threat because of it. If they only knew.

I kept the hood up to cover it, that much was true. But not because I was ashamed. No way, that was a battle scar and I was proud of it. I only wished that it hadn't ended up being for nothing. I covered it to help everyone else out. It seemed to make it easier to be around me.

I would just have to try again, see if she would listen.

I turned over to try going back to sleep and heard my phone buzz. The only person who would text me at that time of night was my cousin, Nico, and I had no interest in talking with him right that late.

I tried to just go to sleep but I heard the buzz again. He would keep it up all night so I sat up to turn it all the way off. I clicked out of his notifications, but then I saw one of them was from a number I didn't recognize, so I opened the text to see what was going on.

(958)344-1621 *Will you still help me?*

My blood ran cold when I saw the message. It had to be her, but I needed to be careful just in case it wasn't.

Me *Maybe. Who is this?*

(958)344-1621 *Amber*

Amber! That's her name! Looked like she was already convinced to deal with Matt. All we had to do was plan it out. Well, texting would take way too long to go over what I needed to say to her.

Me *I'm calling you*

Before she could respond, I hit the call button. She answered immediately.

"Garrett?" she breathed out my name in a hesitant whisper.

"Were you not sure it was me when you texted?" I smirked.

"Pretty sure, but not positive."

"Ok, but next time you text someone at two in the morning, do me a favor and be positive."

"I know, you're right." She took a deep breath.

"Well, what's the deal?" It was too late not to get right to the point.

"I need to break up with him, but I'm scared of how he will respond." She paused for a moment. "I feel so stupid."

She was far from stupid if she was scared of his response.

"He's gonna be pissed so you shouldn't be left alone. I'll have to keep close by you just in case."

"So, my bodyguard?"she half laughed as she made the statement.

"Looks like it." The thought of watching out for her was a huge relief. But I couldn't tell her that, yet.

Then I heard some rustling sounds in the background.

"Oh no, he's at the window." she whispered. "I don't want him here but he told me he would come by. When he never came I thought he just forgot or was with Courtney."

So she knew he was cheating. "Just tell him your parents would be really mad. Don't break up with him right now. We'll figure that out later."

"Ok, hang on" she sounded nervous.

I heard some muffled voices for a few minutes. Then there was silence. I checked to see that the call was still connected. It was, so I waited for her to return.

About five minutes later, which felt like forever when you were waiting in silence, in the middle of the night, to find out how the confrontation between a mouse and a lion went, she finally came back on the line.

"Sorry. He was really insistent so I told him my mom was awake and that she would hear him. Then I had to act like I was going back to sleep because he stood at the window watching for a while. He just drove away."

What a major dick. "Okay. Lay low this weekend. Stay home and avoid talking to him much, just say your mom has stuff for you to do. I'll call you tomorrow and we'll figure out a plan."

Just before I hung up, I thought of one more thing, "hey, don't save my contact under my name. If anything, make something up or don't save it at all."

"Okay," she said with a deep sigh. "bye"

As soon as she hung up, I saved her contact info.

Little Mouse

It seemed like she had a new nickname. And it was time to exterminate the rat.
^^^^^

A/N If you liked it, please tap the star to vote!

Okay, I'm still planning on adding music. Funny though, the playlist seems to be mostly 80's and 90's with some more current songs sprinkled in. Don't ask me why but that's what is standing out as I'm searching for songs...

The next part will be in Garrett-Matt-Amber order and will revolve around the break up.

Thank you for your comments and questions!

Here is Green Day in all their glory