4 - Matt

Hey! Did you check out the Block Party? If you did, and now you're curious about Matt's point of view from Day One, I have included some of his memories from that day in this part.

Also, I added a few authors notes and a YouTube clip in the first part (now called Forward) to give you a feel for what I'm going for.  The Visual Cast List follows just after that and explains some of the cast changes I've made. And now, Matt...

Song of the chapter - Lithium by Nirvana

Five days. It's been five days since I broke up with Amber. The effort I've had to put into looking unaffected has been difficult. My crew expects me to be tough, a leader. Leaders don't lose their shit when they dump their girlfriend. Leaders are unaffected by sadness. But how could I be unaffected? I broke up with my girlfriend.

My girlfriend who was gorgeous. My girlfriend who never cheated on me, even though I accused her on many occasions, and did cheat on her, many times. My girlfriend who never yelled back, or called me out. The girl I set my sights on the first day of school, the one I thought I deserved. I had made it my mission to have her, claim her, and it worked.

Until I ruined it all.

Five days later and I couldn't hold it in any longer. I fucked up.

Leaning against my car, I glanced around at the slightly inebriated student body surrounding me. Cars were parked up close to the tree line, windows down and music playing. Radios had been synced up and the volume was just loud enough to be heard, but not loud enough to draw attention to our gathering. It was an art form, and we had it perfected. That didn't make it anything special, however. It was the same bullshit every time.

"Shit, you need a beer, man. Here. Get loaded or something. You're killing my buzz with your fucking depression."

Pete shoved a cold can against my chest. It wasn't my brand, but whatever. I didn't care anymore.

"Eff you. The only depressing thing around here is fucking being here. God, this place blows." Shit, I needed to pull it together and stop letting the past week get to me. It was starting to show.

I popped the tab on the beer and started chugging. It wasn't the first time I got wasted on a Friday night in the lot, even though I normally avoided this place. I spent most Friday's since the season was over with Amber. And there was no way in hell I was bringing her here.

But now that we weren't together, I didn't have an excuse to avoid the crew's usual hang out.

"Since when were you a Coors drinker?" Courtney frowned. God this girl was annoying. She's a freaking stalker, already knowing my drink preferences.

"I'm drinking it cause it's here. Got something better?" Like a Jack and Coke... I went ahead and gave her my signature smirk. Her mouth was less annoying when it was occupied. She got up on her toes to reach my lips and gave me a kiss. She put all of her passion and energy into it, I have to give her that. It still wasn't as good as Amber.

Damn. I needed to get her off of my mind!

"Okay, horny" I joke as I pull away from her, slightly disgusted by the exchange, "save some for later." That brings a pout to her face.

Seriously. What is it with these pouty faced girls? I can't stand that bratty look, but Courtney throws one my way every fucking day. Rather than give her a hard time about it, I just shake my head and turn back to Pete.

"How much longer are we staying?" This place sucked. The loser lot at the back of the school had become this epic tailgate hangout years ago. The wooded area behind the lot was the perfect cover for underage illegal activities. It was just dark enough, just covered enough to keep authorities from investigating our business.