Prologue

One dictionary defines that a Prologue is a speech before a play. In a sense, this title is very fitting for what you are about to read. The Musical CATS, by Andrew Lloyd Webber, began a seasonal run in 1981, and is now billed as the longest running musical on the stage. The script and characters are based upon the poetry written by T.S. Eliot in his 1939 edition of “Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats.” At this writing, there are three theatres presenting the musical, and a Touring company. Recently (September 2000), New York finally closed its run. Therefore, this opening is indeed the “speech before the play.” 

    Before you read the stories contained the “The Jellicle Chronicles,” I would gladly direct you to obtain the book by Mr. Eliot, and see either the stage or the video version of the MusicalCATS. Once you are familiar with the characters, you can read the stories with some foreknowledge of the setting. Otherwise, you may not completely understand some of the characters, their reputations and actions, and some of the lore behind them. 

    The Jellicle Chronicles started as a writing exercise and excuse by the author one gray day. After finding similar stories on various Internet Fan websites, I began writing the first chapter. One chapter led to another, and the Chronicles was born. Writing such works is a labor of love by most fan-fiction writers, but it does pose a few problems. The highest problem on the list is interpretation. The musical CATS differs in certain ways depending upon where it is being staged, who is staging it, what actors/actresses have the parts, and even where you, the audience member, are seated. Therefore, interpretation is going to be widely different - as much as each and every fiction writer and reader. To be fair, you, the reader, must be aware that you enter the Author’s world when you read the story. You must face their interpretation of the characters, the location and dialogue. So, welcome to MY Jellicle World. 

    In the “Chronicles,” you begin three months after the Jellicle Ball seen in the musical. My characters are presented somewhat as you see them on stage, with one very large exception. For the most part, the Jellicle Cat of T.S. Eliot’s poem has a Human home, and interactions with humans. To the Human, a Jellicle Cat is something akin to an ordinary Felis cattus or house cat. But, once away from the Human world, we see them almost Human in shape, but maintaining their cat-like physical characteristics. In fiction, let us face “facts” and accept that the Jellicle Cat is extraordinary, and can “transform” at will. The relationships and the personality of each Jellicle Cat primarily is loosely based upon the video version of the musical. If my interpretation is different from yours, please remember, you are now in my world. 

    One more thing that I wish for you to understand is the concept of the “Moon Festival.” If we restricted the Jellicle activity to that special night, “Once a Year,” our ability to spin stories would be relatively limited. Using “artistic license,” I have interpreted that the “Jellicle Ball” is held once a year for the expressed purpose of sending a chosen Jellicle to the Heavyside Layer. All the rest of the year, they meet just to enjoy the company of the others. Every Full Moon has a certain feel to it, and brings the Jellicles out. Usually, we have twelve Full Moons a year. In my world, the Jellicle Ball occurs closest to May 1st, which is High Holiday in the Celtic Calendar (Beltane). Special moons usually have a name to them. Any winter moon that arches high in the sky is know as the “Silver Moon.” The late August moon is a Harvest Moon. Since most Jellicles have a Human home, they are known to celebrate Christmas on the closest moon to that date. If a month has the rare “Blue Moon,” a special Festival is celebrated, and the moon is magical. A Blue Moon has an aura that Jellicles can see, and it is said to grant a wish when the “flash” is seen (when the moon has broken free of the horizon). 

    Finally, the setting used in the stories revolves around the “Junkyard” seen in the musical. Called the “Yard” in the “Chronicles,” the actual setting changes from chapter to chapter. Only parts of the Yard seem immune to Human incursions, since normal Junkyards are constantly being added to with 'new’ junk, and old junk is hauled to incinerators or recyclers. The main stage used in the musical serves as “Town Center” for the Jellicles. It is in the part of the Yard that Humans rarely venture. A couple of places, such as an old overturned bathtub and a wrecked dresser, serve as homes to Jellicles who actually stay in the Yard. To a Jellicle Cat, all the items are “Human” sized, and thus would be seen from a “cat’s” perspective. 

    So, the stage has been set, and you, the audience, have taken your seat. Sit back and enjoy the show!