A Tugger in Winter

The coldest month for the Jellicles was the Human month of January. Snow lay on the ground, making various piles of junk into small hills and mountains. Water froze in the center of the Yard, making an oval of ice before the tire. However, the cold months also made it harder for the Humans to do much in the Yard. More stuff came in, and was placed in the farthest parts. But, the parts where the Yard Jellicles lived, the snow was thickest, and more treacherous for the machines to work in. 

      The younger kittens were literally going crazy, finding the snow just too inviting for mischief. Numerous snowball fights erupted between various sides. First, it was the guys versus girls. Then, three sets of pairs battling each other. Finally, a total free-for-all erupted, and spread across the yard. Errant missiles pelted some of the older Jellicles, and then they joined in. Soon, there was not a safe place in the Yard. 

      Victoria ran giggling before Etcetera and Electra, dodging a snowball. As they charged down the sloping area from the oven, Victoria missed the fact she was heading for the ice. Cettie was too surprised to shout a warning, and Victoria ran out onto the slick surface. At first contact, the White Queen found herself sliding on her … tail across the pond. With the momentum, she crashed tail-first into the far bank in a white cloud of snow crystals. 

      “Vickie! Vickie, are you okay?” 

      The White Queen slowly extracted herself from the snow. “Yes, thank you. My, uh, pride may be bruised a bit.” 

      “I don’t’ think that’s your pride you’re rubbing,” Electra chimed in, and got smacked in the back by a snowball. “Hey! Who threw that?” 

      “Someone you shouldn’t turn your back on,” Jemmina shouted, laughing hard. 

      “You little brat! You’re kibbles when I get my paws on you!” 

      Electra chased off after Jemmina, who darted around the tire. Skimbleshanks, walking with Jellylorum, saw the youngest kitten zoom by, and then turned around just in time to get a snowball in the chest. He grimaced in horror as the slush went down inside his vest. 

      “Sorry, Uncle,” Electra managed to say as she raced on by. 

      “My word!” Skimble tried to brush off most of the snow before it melted on him. Jellylorum tried to help him, but she was giggling too much to do any good. 

      Down below the action, Victoria was testing her footing on the slick ice. Cettie had run off after the others, so the White Queen was left to her own devices. Being the most graceful dancer in the Jellicles, she already had an idea about this new medium. All she had to do, she thought, was to figure out how to stay upright on it. Carefully, she started testing out how to slide her feet. Awkwardly, she shuffled about the small pond, looking very much like a young Human child learning to ice skate. Come to think of it, she thought, that is what she was! 

      Tonight was a somewhat normal Moon Festival. The moon would appear as silver globe in the sky, and was often called the “Silver Moon” by the Jellicles. Most of this festival was celebrated by song, since the dancing would be limited. However, there was an undercurrent of talk going on. The Sentinel was rarely seen lately. Since the Christmas Moon, he had disappeared. Demeter and Bombalurina had also been missing from the normal comings-and-goings of the Yard Jellicles. One rumor was running around that Demeter had run off, and Bombalurina had gone back to wherever she had come from. Of Munkustrap, the rumor had it that his body was laying someone in the junkyard. 

      Mistoffelees was often at home with his little Human girl. When he did appear, he appeared a bit haggard. When the others asked him what was wrong, he explained that the little Human girl had something wrong with her chest. Repeatedly, she kept catching colds easily. When she did, he would work his magic and heal her. But his magic could only go so far.