A Jellicle Night

Being of the Land, Jellicle Cats knew when the Full Moon would rise in any of the Human months. The month of March, however, was a special one. Called the “Verdant (or Green) Moon,” every Jellicle knew that Spring and warmer weather was on the way. Already, the snow was melting in all but the shaded places of the Yard. Instead of snow, the storms began to bring rain. With the rain, the ground began to become lush again. Outside the Yard, the fields around the city were starting to show the greener promise of new growth. Inside the Yard, well, sometimes, Nature had her own way of finding protective places. 

    Skimbleshanks knew places between the tracks and the Yard where flowers grew in the middle of March. Tonight, he was certain to find at least one or two that would do just nicely. As the train came to a stop, and he had seen to all the passengers and the baggage and the mail, Skimbleshanks was now free to go. The Conductor stroked his neck and back before he left, and the Human always seemed to know just the right places to scratch. 

    Nestled between the rail station and the pipe leading to the Yard, Skimble knew he would find a Human’s small house. Around it, in tidy beds of well-tended soil, flowers and plants grew in abundance. Even in the dead of winter, the Human knew how to grow some types of plants. One such plant, Skimble knew by sight and smell. In fact, with his nose, he knew he was within five kilometers of the station because of that plant. This Human knew how to plant a variety, and so that one place in the garden, along the outside fence, always had a Springtime selection of white, pink, red, blue, magenta, violet and purple Sweetpeas. 

    Every year for the past four years, he would wait for this part of the Season to stop by and pick a small bouquet and deliver them to Jennyanydots and Jellylorum. Up until a year ago, Jellylorum was still involved taking care of Gus down at the Theatre. After Grizabella was Chosen, Gus vanished as well. The word in the alley was that a patron took Gus with them to live out in the country. Since then, Jellylorum stayed at the Yard with Jenny. Together, they took care of the kittens and helped strays and the injured. Skimbleshanks stopped at the fence, and he hung his head for a moment. 

    Back in the Nursery, Skimble remembered seeing the huge black Quaxo lying under a blanket. Since the Eclipsed Moon, the huge Guardian had not moved. Through supreme efforts, Jellylorum and Jenny managed to keep the big cat alive, along with a treatment from Mistoffelees. Right now, the Guardian’s body may be healed, but something was still wounded and maybe even dying. Along with Quaxo, Bombalurina and Munkustrap were convalescing. 

    Skimble looked up at the pleasantly pungent flowers and selected two of each of the colors with stems long enough he could hold in his teeth. Being still in the World of the Humans, he had to retain his cat-like appearance. He regretted not being able to use his paws the way he liked. Still, he gathered up his flowers, and trotted off to the pipe. 

    As he walked, the fragrant blossoms seemed to fill the air with hope and promise. Munkustrap and Bombalurina were mending nicely, at least. Poor girl, he thought sadly. To have to fight with Macavity, and nearly die by his paws! The orange tabby shuddered. But, Mistoffelees managed to heal the Scarlet Queen, and tell the rest of the Jellicles an amazing story! According to the Conjurer, Munkustrap helped with the magic! The tuxedo cat credited the Sentinel’s Love for his Mate for really saving her life! Truly amazing, Skimble thought as he approached the pipe. At the lip, Mistoffelees and Victoria seemed to patiently be awaiting his arrival. Brutus, sadness replacing some of his stoic features, stood alongside the entrance. 

    “Oh, Skimble,” Victoria said with affection. “They’re lovely. And they smell so wonderful. Who are they for?” 

    The Rail Cat set the blossoms down, and selected the white blossoms. “These, if Misto dinnae mind, are for ye.”