Dark Moon

Munkustrap prowled restlessly around the Yard. Snow covered everything, turning the Yard into a landscape of mountains and valleys of white. Knowing his terrain, the Sentinel went high into the piles of cast-off furniture, cars, household appliances and the like. From any of these positions, he could look down and check the footprints in the snow. Where the Humans' lorries went, the ground was almost pure mud, splashed brown by the muck everywhere they went. 

      Two pipes entered the Yard and allowed a stream of effluvium products through the upper center of the terrain. Most of it was water from the storm drains, but other material collected in it as well. All Jellicles knew not to drink from the stream. At both pipe entrances, Munkustrap had the two largest Jellicles watching. Brutus, a large rust and gray tabby, watched the entry from the tracks. Victoria and Skimbleshanks would often enter via this route, and knew Brutus well. Brutus, Munkustrap knew, had a crush on Victoria, but knew it was mostly in vain. Still, he was always nice to her, and noted her concerns. On the other pipe, the dark Quaxo stood watch. Almost silent as a tomb, Munk could not remember him uttering more that a couple of words at any one time. Of course, with a cat his size, he did not need to talk much. From his direction, Old Deuteronomy, Rum Tum Tugger, Mungojerrie, Rumpleteazer and Jennyanydots would arrive, and always be bowed to by the towering guard. Jenny always accepted it as a gentlemanly way of greeting her. The Tiger Twins took it the way they took everything… Old Deuteronomy usually accepted it because he was a Leader. The Tugger, however, was always spooked by the gesture. Only Munkustrap knew about that, though, and he kept it secret from everyone. 

      Tonight, both guards were doubly alert due to the Festival. They nodded silently as he checked the perimeter, and received his nod in return. When he patrolled, there were no shouts of hello or acknowledgements. The silent nod was all that they needed. If anything was amiss, a shake of the head indicated trouble. 

      Munkustrap doubled back to his high point, the abandoned cars that were stacked in a pile. The mountain of rusting steel and cloth constantly changed as the humans fussed with the various parts. The pile grew higher some days, and lower on others. Tonight, Munk noticed somberly, the pile had not been touched since the last moon. Stretching out on the cold steel hood of one old car, Munk looked down on the entryway. The Human that worked in the office down there was closing up for the night. The lights went off, and then the Human appeared. He would fiddle around at the door for a while, and then climb into his car. Moments later, the Yard was totally Munk's domain. 

      "At least we taught him not to put a Pollicle in here," he chuckled harshly. 

      The car he was lying on moved slightly, twice, and then went still. He knew who was behind him, and knew he was in no danger, but the hair on his back and tail stood up anyway. Slowly turning, he looked almost nose-to-nose with Coricopat. Tantomile sat directly behind the dark male. 

      "Sentinel." 

      "We are troubled." 

      Munkustrap forced himself not to hiss in his fear. No matter how long he knew these two adults, their abilities always made him nervous. To begin with, they spoke either in unison or completed each other's sentences. Then, they often were seen just staring at each other, and smiles would be exchanged, or frowns, or any number of facial emotions. It was if they were communicating on a far higher level than anyone did. Finally, they had a mysterious habit of heralding things to come. This thing, right now, was one that did not bode well. 

      "Do you know what it is?" 

      Coricopat looked back at his Mate, and she started. 

      "The moon will darken tonight." 

      "As we foretold." 

      "Beware tonight, Sentinel."