Chapter Four

I hadn't gathered the nerve to investigate the lift further, every time I thought back to its activation a cold shiver ran down my spine.

Instead I returned back to the kitchen to continue cleaning, just something to take my mind off of things. The monotonous action seemed to work as I focused more on scrubbing up stains than self activating machinery.

Once the floors were finished I set to work on the various pots and items scattered around the hectic room, scrubbing the dear life out of them as a means to distract myself.

But now that's done and as I sit at the kitchen table, hands around a cup of hot water just to keep them warm, my mind has started reeling again in worry.

A loud and obnoxious argument with myself was echoing in my brain, one half of me saying I should go and investigate while the other said that it wasn't worth the risk.

"The workmen are coming in a few days, at least investigate whilst they're here."

"But you'll probably chicken out then too."

"It would also make sense to in the long run, if there was a shortage or a rat gnawed through something they could have a look."

I sigh and drop my head down towards the table, taking a few deep breaths while closing my eyes to stave off the impending headache I could feel growing behind my eyes.

"I don't know what to do," I finally admit out loud to myself.

Lifting my head again, I take a small sip of the warm water before getting out of my seat and tipping the rest into the sink.

Looking out of the grimy windows I noted that it seemed to already be getting dark, it had taken me hours to fully scrub the kitchen to my liking and I was completely drained.

My arms ached and my head was hurting, that was all I needed to call it a day and get some rest. Deciding to start again early in the morning I slowly make my way to the main hallway, my eyes darting towards the lift shaft as I passed it, another chill running down my spine.

Forcing my eyes away from the contraption I head to the dark corridor that led to the bedrooms, at least I assumed they were all bedrooms behind these doors. There were so many doors in this place that I had no clue what was hidden behind each, I was partly anticipating that bit.

Though I did worry a little about the clutter I could possibly find in them too, the thought of more tidying was enough to put me off adventuring further for the time being.

Seeing as it was still early, I decided to use this time to find the master bedroom before it got too dark.

Turning into the dark hallway, which seemed to have a constant beautiful blue tint to it, I prepare to go door to door in search of the room I will call my own.

The hallway was long with amazing dark wood, detailed arches decorating the ceiling and splitting the wall into two. The top half was blank with lanterns here and there mostly to my right, the bottom half was wallpapered with a dank moth design that was eerily pretty.

Then again, I did always have a special place in my heart for moths.

A lot of the wallpaper seemed to be peeling off in places and I hoped there was some way to salvage it, the moth design was such a unique look that I didn't want to have to remove it in the slightest.

"Perhaps one of the coming workmen will have something," I mumble to myself whilst making my way to the first door.

The cold metal of the door handle burnt my hand a tiny bit, somehow it felt abnormally cold even for this unheated manor.