Chapter Thirty Six

The scene outside was one of utter chaos.

The scaffolding that had been erected on the west side of the house now lay in metallic jagged piles on the ground, tools and renovations material lay strewn around amongst the chaos as the dust gradually started to settle.

Panicked calls of names filled the area as I neared, Ben, who appeared unscathed, was pacing back and forth while calling out for his co-workers.

George's rail-like frame proved its deceptive strength as he hauled up pieces of scaffolding that were still linked together so that Ben could search underneath.

"Ben," I called as I neared, China running past to sniff at the fallen metal, "what happened?"

"I'm uncertain, Mam, we were working and suddenly the whole thing collapsed beneath their feet."

He ran a dirty hand over his cropped air as his eyes scanned back and forth over the scene before him, his expression nothing short of panicked concern.

"Were many up high?"

"Three, I was on the ground with George and Alexander."

"And Robert was inside, so he is accounted for."

Ben nodded, a flickering look of resignation being sent my way.

"Yes, he mentioned not feeling well."

"Boss," George yelled, "I found someone."

A fire lit under Ben at the news and he ran over to the other man, I followed shortly behind him while being careful to not catch my dress on any of the fallen debris.

Much like they had been before, George held up the scaffolding so that Ben could drop down to his knees and peer underneath.

"Jonathan," he laughed in relief, "can you move at all?"

"Yes," I think so," Jonathan gasped, shifting a little to accentuate his answer.

"Great, is there any pain in your neck or back?"

"No, sir, just my right arm."

"Okay, good, then I'm going to pull you out."

Ben adjusted his position and reached further underneath, hooking his arms around Jonathan's as best as he could given their position, once he felt that he had a decent enough grip, he he counted to three and then awkwardly pulled him out from beneath the pile.

By some miracle, none of the scaffolding had pinned Jonathan in and he slid out with ease, only wincing at the pressure applied on his wounded arm.

George waited for the all clear from Ben, who had gone back to check that no one else was laying unconscious in that area, then lowered the poles he had been holding up.

Ben made quick work of checking Jonathan for any extensive wounds and patched up the arm as best as he could with the low supplies they had to hand, which consisted of just enough cloth to clean and strap up a series of deep cuts on his shoulder.

He was lucky he only had those and a bruise, though he was ordered to go inside and clean his wound with warmed water and salt.

"Is everyone accounted for?" Jonathan asked, looking around at the sparse group, "are the others inside?"

"No," George shook his head, "we're still down two men."

"Who?"

"Hille and Nathaniel."

A sombre silence fell over us, but didn't have time to linger before it was broken by a far-off yell.

"Guys, over here!"

Ben and George wasted no time and immediately rushed over to the call, China on their tail, barking madly at the excitement of what was happening while I trailed behind with Jonathan, who was still trying to catch his bearings after the fall.

We rounded the corner of the manor to find Alexander desperately trying to lift a muddled pile of scaffolding that was crushing Hille's leg.

"I think it's caught on something, I can't lift it any higher."

George moved over to help Alexander hold up the metal heap, alleviating the pressure on Hille's leg and allowing Ben to search for the cause of the lack of give and heft whatever needed to be moved in order to give enough leverage for Hille to be pulled out and assessed for further damage.

Thankfully, much like Jonathan, he managed to survive the fall with relatively minor injuries in the grand scheme of things, but the injury was still concerning, the skin below his knee had already started turning purple and showed indents where the metal had dug in.

Hille sat on the ground, leaning back on his hands as he winced and groaned during Ben's leg prodding and poking.

"I think it's broken," Ben sighed while leaning back from his assessment, "that'll put you out for a while."

"No," he gasped, looking the most distraught that I had ever seen a man, "I have a child at home, I need this money."

Alexander nodded slowly and gave his shoulder a comforting pat while I shared a look with Jonathan, both of us evidently as surprised as the other that Hille was a father.

Not to say that he wasn't a capable man, but he had simply never mentioned the fact before.

"It will be okay," Alexander said softly, comfortingly, "you can work this out."

"I'm sure you could speak to Father and make some kind arrangement," all eyes turned to me as I spoke, which gave me a sudden flutter of nerves, "I doubt that he would leave you to poverty after an accident on his dime."

"We can send a letter off in the morning," George said gruffly, "we're still down one man and we have to find him as soon as we can."

Ben got up and moved away from the group then started marching along the fallen scaffoldig, calling out for Nathaniel as he continued his search.

"You stay here," George ordered, looking at Jonathan, "keep an eye on him."

Jonathan nodded his understanding and then crouched beside Hille, wincing as he twinges his own wounds.

As George walked away, I watched with growing concern while worrying my lip between my teeth.

Lucille was involved in this somehow, I knew it to be true, but proving it would be hard and telling the others would be hopeless.

Looking up towards the highest window, the one for the attic, I spied Thomas' ghostly white figure staring out sorrowfully and for the briefest of seconds our eyes met and a cold chill ran down my spine.

I had to fight back the burn of tears as the stress of the last two months hit me hard in the chest, all the fear and uncertainty proved to be too much and this latest event, which I wholly believed to be down to Lucille, was too much to handle.

Taking a few deep breaths, I managed to keep my composure from breaking and stayed focused on looking after the injured men.

A tense silence engulfed our group as more time ticked by slowly, though I could imagine that was more to do with my emotions playing with my concept of time than anything else.

China ran back and collided with my legs, whining in need of attention as Ben and George returned, their expressions reading nothing pleasant.

"What is it?" Hille asked, picking up on the shift in atmosphere.

"We found Nathaniel," George answered with a heavy sigh, the weight of the truth already laying heavy on his shoulders and causing him to lose his voice, so Ben had to take over.

"He's dead."