Chapter Thirty Two

The click of the lock on a door and the hinges creaking, followed by slow footsteps, roused me from my sleep, a rest my body didn't seem to appreciate judging by my aching muscles and lethargic head.

There was some shuffling as I shifted in bed and opened my eyes, which was followed by a pause then a soft sigh.

"I'm sorry, I hadn't meant to disturb you."

I sit up while my eyes immediately drift over the pale skin of Robert's exposed chest, my eyes slowly drifting up to meet his.

Judging by the towel around his neck and his wet hair, I could presume that he had just left the bathroom after having a wash, this was helped to deduce by his state of half-dress.

Although I was no prude, I could feel my cheeks begin to heat up at the thought that had I opened my eyes a second earlier, I certainly would have caught a glimpse of something more than him tugging on a pair of black trousers.

Never had I had a man in my bedroom in this state and it threw me off kilter, even if it was a man that I had given my heart to.

It was surprising how deceptive his physique was, the baggy white shirt and slack dark trousers managed to hide a toned body underneath the dirty folds that was easily disguised with his height and leanness.

The tan on his skin from hours working in the sun during summer was fading, but the difference in skin tones made me realize just how pale he typically was.

"Are you all right?"

My eyes finally met his concerned blue ones and focused, I smiled as best as I could past the fluster.

"Yes, yes I am fine, thank you."

"I hope you don't mind me using your bathroom, it was purely from convenience."

"Oh," I laughed softly and waved my hand, "not at all, thinking nothing of it."

Robert smiled and perched on the edge of the bed.

"It's quite late, you were out for a while."

"I suppose that all the excitement did tire me out."

"It must have as you even slept through dinner."

"Oh, well it's a good thing that I'm not hungry."

"Perhaps I can get you something."

"No," I protested, resting my hand on top of his, "you must rest after your day of work."

"It really is no bother."

"As it is no hassle to me, I am not bed bound."

The flames of the candles he must have lit while I was asleep cast his face in an eerily enchanting light, this somehow enhanced a cheeky twinkle that shone in his eyes, a mixture of a smirk and a grin pulled at his lips.

Barely a breath passed my lips between my noticing this gleam and making to comment on it and yet, in the blink of an eye, Robert had leaned into me and caught my lips with his and was gently lowering me back to lie on the bed.

This kiss was different from others that we had shared, this one seemed more feverish but no less passionate, almost desperate.

It wasn't long I felt close to losing my breath and needing to take a gulp of air, just as I was about to nudge him away, Robert broke the kiss of his own accord and trailed light pecks down my jaw towards my neck.

"What are you doing?" I gasped out, laughing in the same breath.

He chuckled against my neck, the vibration making a strange tingle tickle that area and causing me to take a sharp breath.