Who You Gonna Call? - Modern AU

(To make up for the lack of new chapter, I've decided to give you guys a small bit of fluff. I promise the next chapter will be out soon, now that work shifts have slowed down a little and I am speeding through some stories. I hope this makes up for it!)

"Who are you going to call?"

"Bloody hell!" I start at the sudden voice coming from behind me.

My heart beats a millions times faster and I have to hang my head to let in a deep breath, one that quickly turned into a laugh as I set down the spoon I had been using and turn to face my guest.

"Demons, Thomas, are you trying to make me join you in the afterlife?"

"Pardon me, I did not mean to startle you like that."

The sincere look on his pale face caused my heart to melt and there was no doubt that had I been mad about him making me jump, I would have wound up feeling bad about it in the end.

"It's fine, I mean you're a ghost, it's kind of what they do," I joke, calming myself back down.

"Only when we're feeling a little mischievous," he smiled.

"You do seem like the mischievous type," I roll my eyes with a smile of my own, turning back to my milk that was boiling on the ring. "Now, what did you ask?"

"I asked who you were going to call."

I raise an eyebrow, briefly glancing at him over my shoulder as I stirred the warming milk.

"Why do you ask that?"

"You kept chanting that earlier this morning and it had me a little worried."

My brows furrow in thought as I try to remember what I had been doing earlier that morning and how it could be significant to the situation.

"Worried about what?"

"About you calling in these 'Ghostbusters', I'm not sure I appreciate the sentiment behind that, I didn't think that I was that much of a nuisance."

I lift my head and laugh at the realisation as the memory came back from this morning after my shower.

"I don't think it's funny," he replied in a slightly snappish tone, "if you aren't afraid of any ghosts why would you wish to 'bust' us?"

"Thomas, sweetie, no," I giggle again, moving the pan from the heat and setting it on the sideboard so I could look at him without fear of my milk bubbling over and burning the ring. "It was a song, a theme song to a popular series."

"It didn't sound like you were singing," he frowned, his eyes averted from me.

"Technically I wasn't, I was being lazy whilst getting dressed and just kind of spoke the lyrics, I know it's a lame excuse but I would never dream of 'busting' you or your sister, who I still haven't met by the way."

"So you don't plan on bringing in people to deal with us?"

"I can assure you, if I planned on bringing in people to deal with you, I'd choose two people a lot more qualified than the Ghostbusters," I grin at my own mental image, earning a confused look from him.

"I am not entirely sure I know what you mean, but I shall trust you."

I give him a nod and a thumbs up before turning back to my prepared cup that sat there waiting for my to finally finish preparing the hot chocolate I'd been craving all morning.

"So wait, you have full awareness that you're a spirit?" I ask, wanting to fill the silence between us, "seems like a bit of a cruel fate."

"It's not exactly hard to figure out when the world is shifting around you and yet you remain the same," he laughed good naturedly.

"You'd be surprised it seems, many ghosts and spirits get stuck in a rut of their past lives, never moving forward."

"Oh that, not at all, we just do that to mess around with you living a little bit, we have to get our fun from somewhere."

I look at him in bewilderment, my eyebrows raised towards my hairline, "You talk to other spirits?"

"Oh yes, we have regular ghost meetings and everything."

I was about to voice my scepticism but he beat me by bursting out laughing with the most playful smile I had ever seen adorn his face, there was something childlike about it that made him look so innocent despite his gaunt appearance.

"Of course I am merely playing with you," he confirmed after calming down.

"Has anyone ever told you that you're bit of an ass?" I huff just as playfully, folding my arms across my chest.

A strange emotion flashes through his eyes and his smile turns from one of playfulness into one of fondness as his gaze bores into mine, making my heart race faster than it was before.

"Not to my face," he replied in a soft whisper.