The Neighbour - Modern AU - Part Three

(This one was going to be out much sooner, but my laptop had to go to the computer hospital. I hope it was worth the wait!)

Another two weeks passed before I finally crossed paths with the ever elusive Robert.

I had been on my way home from a tiring shift, happily lost in the world of my own music when a large ball of fur pounced at me and proceeded to lick my face as if greeting an old friend.

"Well hello to you too," I laughed, stroking the dog's back whilst trying to turn my face away from the slobbering onslaught.

Further down the path behind her I could hear rapid footsteps approaching, accompanied by yells of the dog's name and light scolding.

"China, get down!"

It took a second for the name to click, but when it did I realised that this was the new dog on the street and the name sounded familiar after my talk with Mrs Harris.

Pale fingers grabbed onto her collar and carefully pulled the large wad of fur off of me, mumbling multiple apologies.

"I'm so sorry, she slipped out of her lead right as we reached home."

"It's fine," I smiled, waving my hand dismissively, "I'm a dog person so it's no biggie."

He gave me an almost bashful smile then turned his attention back to the gorgeous German Shepherd, crouching down to fasten the collar back around her fluffy neck.

As he crouched, I found that my eyes automatically moved to rove over his figure.

He was pretty tall and slim yet obviously still fit, his shirt fitting tighter in some places than others and there was more to appreciate about him from behind that it'd be uncouth to talk about in public.

"Oh man, I've been spending too much time with Thomas," I mumbled to myself.

"What was that?"

I snapped my attention back to him as he stood up, some of his dark blond waves falling into his face in the process and causing him to frown and brush them away.

"Seems it's time for a haircut," I joked, attempting to divert the subject.

"Yeah," he huffed out a laugh, "I've been meaning to go for a while, but what with moving and starting a new job it's proven a little difficult."

"I can only imagine," I smiled, "well it's nice to finally meet you, it's Robert right?"

"Don't tell me, Mrs Harris?"

"Naturally, she is our street gossip and she's told me quite a bit about you."

"Only good things I hope."

"Oh no, terrible, terrible things."

"I knew it," he sighed dramatically.

It was wonderful to finally have a formal introduction to my new neighbour after all this time, so far he definitely lived up to what Mrs Harris had been nattering on about.

He was definitely a good looking man and he seemed easy to get alone with, not to mention his adorable dog.

"Anyway I should probably get inside and showered."

I nodded to his statement and stepped around him, "I guess I can walk you partially home then."

We turned back towards our homes and headed down the path together with China in front of us, pulling on her lead and glancing back every now and then to check that we're still safely behind her.

It was momentarily silent, a moment I took to study Robert much closer.

From up close it was even more striking how he looked just like Thomas, only his hair was lighter and he looked significantly less deceased.

In a flickering second his eyes connected with mine and I found my cheeks burning at being caught staring, so I decided to try and talk to avoid any awkwardness.

"You know, you look like-"

"Don't tell me, that actor who played that guy in the thing."

I stared at him for a moment then laughed, shaking my head a little.

"How eloquently put."

"What can I say? I have a way with words."

"Oh, I noticed," I smiled with a roll of my eyes, "so you watched the documentary then?"

We came to a stop outside his house and he turned to face me as he fumbled for his keys in his surprisingly deep pocket.

"Yes, I've always been fascinated by the history of Allerdale Hall."

"Me too, that's why I moved into the house refurbished using pieces of the original building."

"Wait," he stopped and looked towards my house, a new light coming into his eyes, "this is where Allerdale Hall once stood?"

"Yeup," I grinned proudly towards my own house, "pretty cool, huh?"

"Very much so," he hummed in agreement, still staring my home, "hey, do you drink tea?"

I laughed at the typically British question, but nodded nonetheless.

"Yes, I do indeed drink tea."

"Alright," he smiled, "what's your poison?"

"Oh, I don't have a specific brand, Asda's own is fine by me."

"What? No, I won't have that," he laughed, shaking his head with a playful look of disgust, "come over sometime and I'll show you what true tea is."

"True tea being what exactly? Earl Grey?"

He gave a coy tilt of his head and his mouth twitched into an almost guilty look.

"Oh my god," I laughed, throwing my head back a little, "you're so stereotypically British!"

"I prefer the term quintessential, but is that such a bad thing?"

"No, if anything it's oddly adorable, now will there be biscuits?"

"I'm offended you'd even ask."

"I just have to make sure there's something to entice me over."

"Ah, much needed biscuits always seal that deal."

"Precisely."

"Wonderful, how about tomorrow evening? You can come over for tea and we'll discuss your house."

I nodded eagerly and stepped towards the curb, preparing to cross the road, "It's a date."

Robert gave a small tip of his head then bid goodbye and headed indoors as I waved and walked to my own home knowing that Thomas would be excited that I'd made a new friend.